inseine wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    120702_tourdefrance-08_p465.jpg

Good picture. Whats the story?

Look at the chain

Campag quick release..

Actually that bike is fitted with a 'Super Champion' Osgear. Roger Lapebie used one to win the 1937 Tour de France with a record average speed, which was the first year derailleurs were allowed in the Tour. By the way, the Osgear was even indexed!

The photo is Roger Lapebie on his way to his game changing 1937 win. Derailleurs gave as much advantage to Lapdebie as EPO to the turn of the century tour winners.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093
    Ber Nard wrote:
    pantani-at-delayed-start.jpg

The Festina affair.

Rob

oh yes, the Semnoz stage in 1998 from memory. 1999 was the Tour du renouveau; one by a certain Mr Armstrong.
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093
    Howzabout

beryl-burton-side.jpg

less a sign of change than a one off false dawn for women's cycling
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    matthew-mcconaughey-lance-armstrong-06-reporters.jpg

The Texas Bros: Lance Armstrong & Matthew McConaughey circa 2007

Then: One was the untouchable American icon and an inspiration to millions. The other was basically a Hollywood joke best known for making crap romcoms ('Matthew Mahogany').

Now: One is a byword for sporting deceit and corruption struggling to hold on to his money.. The other is an Oscar winning, soon to be Emmy winning actor with his pick of the best roles.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is that Putin in the background?

Not seen him in any films other than the Wolf of Wall Street.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Not seen him in any films other than the Wolf of Wall Street.
    He's a had a really good run of smaller low budget films which have been critically acclaimed rather than crap like The Wedding Planner. Next he'll be in Christopher Nolan's next blockbuster Interstellar. But I'd mostly recommend the exceptional TV series True Detective, if only to see the most technically remarkable scene I've even seen on TV.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI71-TNcj_3UR75hV6F7TL2XbCM2r_cdnykgmX-KG6UZ5sBdJ4rA
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's a had a really good run of smaller low budget films which have been critically acclaimed rather than crap like The Wedding Planner. Next he'll be in Christopher Nolan's next blockbuster Interstellar. But I'd mostly recommend the exceptional TV series True Detective, if only to see the most technically remarkable scene I've even seen on TV.

Indeed. Probably the most jaw dropping TV I've ever seen, and after watching it for the 3'rd time I still couldn't believe how they did it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Three times :shock:

I am highly sceptical of American tv and there are very few that I consider worth watching. Rich, this particular one sounds interesting though so I shall attempt to view it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Indeed. Probably the most jaw dropping TV I've ever seen, and after watching it for the 3'rd time I still couldn't believe how they did it.
    Same with me. I watched and thought 'Hang on I can't remember them cutting there, they can't have done, can they?'

Michael Bay would have had 500 edits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,547
    Three times :shock:

I am highly sceptical of American tv and there are very few that I consider worth watching. Rich, this particular one sounds interesting though so I shall attempt to view it.

High end American TV is everything American films aren't....

Anyway.

beloki_caida_880468666.jpg

Never the same rider again.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:

Then: One was the untouchable American icon and an inspiration to millions. The other was basically a Hollywood joke best known for making crap romcoms ('Matthew Mahogany').

Now: One is a byword for sporting deceit and corruption struggling to hold on to his money.. The other is an Oscar winning, soon to be Emmy winning actor with his pick of the best roles.

I had always thought of him as a joke actor, appearing only in Sarah Jessica Parker films about shoes. THEN I saw True Detective, what a waste of talent his previous years had been. He's also good in Mud and Dallas Buyers club
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Same with me. I watched and thought 'Hang on I can't remember them cutting there, they can't have done, can they?'

Which bit was it you couldn't get? I'm thinking I may have missed something now! (Maybe best to do this over PM if Frenchie is going to watch it as I wouldn't want to put spoilers in a non spoiler thread even if it is for a non cycling related thing.

If you've read any HP Lovecraft the series makes a bit more sense than if you haven't ;-)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Paul 8v wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I had always thought of him as a joke actor, appearing only in Sarah Jessica Parker films about shoes. THEN I saw True Detective, what a waste of talent his previous years had been. He's also good in Mud and Dallas Buyers club

Apparently he used to insist on having at least one scene in every film where he was topless. :roll: I guess that's going to narrow down the number of serious roles you can take.

All credit to him, though, he was excellent in Dallas Buyers' Club. Is True Detective still only possible to watch on some sort of Sky channel? Netflix???
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    It should still be on "On Demand". Even though MM gets a lot of plaudits, Harrelson is also more than excellent.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited July 2014
    Paul 8v wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Which bit was it you couldn't get? I'm thinking I may have missed something now! (Maybe best to do this over PM if Frenchie is going to watch it as I wouldn't want to put spoilers in a non spoiler thread even if it is for a non cycling related thing.

If you've read any HP Lovecraft the series makes a bit more sense than if you haven't ;-)

Nothing not to get just wonder at that tracking shot I assume?! Oh and I know its sacrilege in these days of streaming but it is available on DVD!!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    DL1987 wrote:
    It should still be on "On Demand". Even though MM gets a lot of plaudits, Harrelson is also more than excellent.

I don't have any Sky channels - does that mean I doomed to remain denied?
  • RichN95.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    There's no plot spoiler. I'm referring to the climactic scene of episode four (the stash house raid) which is an incredibly complex single shot. It's that you watch it and then realise that it's been shot like that and can't quite believe it has been.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    RichN95 wrote:

Looks like somebody has just provided a sample.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    There's no plot spoiler. I'm referring to the climactic scene of episode four (the stash house raid) which is an incredibly complex single shot. It's that you watch it and then realise that it's been shot like that and can't quite believe it has been.

It's not all that amazing, check out 'Russian Ark' that was a whole movie done in one track/take :shock:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Ah I need to watch that again.
  • Paul 8v
    Coriander wrote:
    DL1987 wrote:

Nah, should be on netflicks. Or treat yourself to the DVD as it is really good. Apparently another series will be made but with different actors.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    hqdefault.jpg
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    mort6.jpg

The first shot in the mountains arms race, with the inclusion of the Mortirolo in the 1990 Giro.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    DL1987 wrote:

Nah, should be on netflicks. Or treat yourself to the DVD as it is really good. Apparently another series will be made but with different actors.

There was rumours of Brad Pitt. Last I heard was Farrell.