Any 'Guards that actually look good ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
I have over the last few months tried several types of mud guards and the last set I tried was a set of SKS Chromoplastic jobbies, all of them had faults either they would rattle when hitting a pot hole or get in the way of the disc brakes etc, Plus every pair I have tried all look s*%t.

I appreciate that a bike with guards will never look as good 'naked' but there must be some out there that will not shake loose or rattle or rub I also want some that closely fit the tyres and not look like bloody awnings over the tyres. I am not willing to spend more than £40.

I have now just removed my guards and accepted that I will get a wet backside on occasion, I am also toying with the idea of just keeping a few extra sets of clothes at work instead.

Any thoughts ?

For ref my bike has 28c tyres (but clearance for 40c) and 160mm discs front and back.

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Correctly installed SKS mudguards work very well and don't really look that bad at all. Disc brakes may require some creativity with bending the stays, that's all.

The most solid and effective mudguards available are probably Gilles Berthoud http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berth ... prod18776/ Not pretty though.

For the best combination of good looks and performance - https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/f ... nders-city
  • I faced the same dilemma. I don't like the look of my bike with mudguards. However, I also hate the dirty black stripe up my back. This causes my shorts to wear out quicker and damages my waterproof jacket.
    The fix.... kept the mudguards on the commuter and have bought a new road bike which is free of any mudguards!
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Ass Saver

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/poc ... s-ec056349

http://vimeo.com/28897914

Just tuck it away when you don't need it. Works great.
  • To counter the 'Ass Saver' recommendation, I bought one recently from Urban Cyclery going on the advice from here. I ride a Felt F85 (road). I'm glad it was so cheap as it was a worthless piece of s#it that didn't serve it's purpose. Looks good, it's light but after using it once I arrived home from my commute with a wet 'ass' and bottom of back pack. Useless. I wrote to Urban Cyclery for a return/refund...they refused straight away and were very cut throat with reply, so I wouldn't recommend them either. Horrible company to deal with.

Still on the look out for a decent guard.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mr_eddy wrote:
    I have over the last few months tried several types of mud guards and the last set I tried was a set of SKS Chromoplastic jobbies, all of them had faults either they would rattle when hitting a pot hole or get in the way of the disc brakes etc, Plus every pair I have tried all look s*%t.

If your SKS rattled when fitted then you hadn't fitted them properly.

Still, the brake bridge mounts are seriously crap but never mind. Anyway, they come in various widths so certainly no need to buy over-sized ones. Tortec ones I think are supposed to be good.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    wood? the flat ones are a bit lame but the curve-section ones are pretty.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    To counter the 'Ass Saver' recommendation, I bought one recently from Urban Cyclery going on the advice from here. I ride a Felt F85 (road). I'm glad it was so cheap as it was a worthless piece of s#it that didn't serve it's purpose. Looks good, it's light but after using it once I arrived home from my commute with a wet 'ass' and bottom of back pack. Useless. I wrote to Urban Cyclery for a return/refund...they refused straight away and were very cut throat with reply, so I wouldn't recommend them either. Horrible company to deal with.

Still on the look out for a decent guard.

This made me laugh. Thanks

I get on with it fine. Good luck in your search.a
  • Tortec get the thumbs up from me. I've tried the SKS ones and they snapped after a couple of cold months where-as my Tortec guards have been on at least 4months now, they don't rattle/clunk or move about. I'm very happy with them.