Mini pump for pocket

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
This has probably been posted before but , mew day new products etc.
I am after a mini pump for my weekend / sportive rides that will fit into my back pocket and pump up to 100psi.
any sugestions are more than welcome.
look forward to hearing from you .
regards
ILG

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bontrager Air Rush. Pumps to 100psi with few issues and also does CO2 cartridges so best of both worlds. Well built, reliable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pocket-size pump that reaches 100psi - pure fantasy IME or by the time it reaches that pressure, your forearms will have haemorrhaged and your ride buddies will have reached home without you
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    oxoman wrote:
    Why not get a slightly bigger pump and strap it onto the bike permanently that way you always have one. I have a Topeak pocket rocket strapped on each of my bikes along with a small wedgy pack with repair kit / tools and spare tube at all times.

I have the same pump, attaches under the bottle cage, always on the bike so I don't have to give it a second thought.
    I've no idea what pressure it will pump to but small pumps are always going to be hard work, it was enough to go the final 20 miles of a sportive the other day so can't be too bad.
  • ilovegrace
    Thanks Ladies and gentelmen.
    What about "the rules" regarding starapping the pump to your bike ?
    I have this arrangement on my winter bike , but for my weekend carbon , is this allowed?
    regards
    ILG
  • markhewitt1978
    ilovegrace wrote:
    I have this arrangement on my winter bike , but for my weekend carbon , is this allowed?

:roll:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited April 2014
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Thanks Ladies and gentelmen.
    regards
    ILG
    Who gives a damn what "the rules" have to say about anything?

When I first heard someone mention "the rules" I asked what these were and was sent me a link. I read some of it and found it slightly amusing. I was later stunned to see that some people actually take them seriously or at least semi-seriously! It's like thinking Black Adder is a documentary!

The only things worth knowing about "the rules" is that they're a basically a load of nonsense that seem to be taken semi-seriously by a certain cross section of self conscious and deluded posers and everyone who quotes them seems to be an idiot.

Why on earth would you put something in your pocket that you don't need to access while riding and that you will always want with you when you're on the bike? The same goes for spare tubes, multi-tools, etc. Get a saddle bag and a pump mount.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Bontrager Air Rush. Pumps to 100psi with few issues and also does CO2 cartridges so best of both worlds. Well built, reliable.

I have one of these. I've been fortunate enough not to use it yet, but I bought it because a friend had one and he rates it.

If you're riding in a group, then co2 is the way to go.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • markhewitt1978
    Only thing I would say about the Toppeak is that it's not easy to screw onto the valve, if you've got cold and oily hands and a valve which isn't cooperating it can be frustrating.
  • ilovegrace
    Bought the Bontrager Air Rush on the recomendations .
    Thanks
    ILG
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    You are only allowed a pump strapped to your carbon bike if it made from carbon as well ,blends in like the predator in the named movie.

I have and used the following pump which i recommend heartly.

BIRZMAN ZACOO MINI

I have the smallest which measures 9.9 cm .It is excellent imho,Well made and works perfectly,I used it twice so far ,no trouble pumping up a trye to near 90 psi.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bir ... tAodXHcAEA

I also have a lyzene mirco -drive which is good but not as discrete as the BIRZMAN .
  • I would be very interested for you to do a test.

See how many pumps it takes to get to 100 psi.

If you can do it in less than 200 you are a hero.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ai_1 wrote:
    .....Who gives a damn what "the rules" have to say about anything?

When I first heard someone mention "the rules" I asked what these were and was sent me a link. I read some of it and found it slightly amusing. I was later stunned to see that some people actually take them seriously or at least semi-seriously! It's like thinking Black Adder is a documentary!

Are you suggesting Blackadder isn't a factual programme? Heretic :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • markhewitt1978
    Blackaddar, 2012, W1A are my favourite documentaries.
  • ai_1
    t4tomo wrote:
    Are you suggesting Blackadder isn't a factual programme? Heretic :D
    I'd call it a mildly accurate satirical representation.
    Just as educational as a documentary and much more fun...
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    oxoman wrote:
    Why not get a slightly bigger pump and strap it onto the bike permanently that way you always have one. I have a Topeak pocket rocket strapped on each of my bikes along with a small wedgy pack with repair kit / tools and spare tube at all times.

I have the same pump, attaches under the bottle cage, always on the bike so I don't have to give it a second thought.
    I've no idea what pressure it will pump to but small pumps are always going to be hard work, it was enough to go the final 20 miles of a sportive the other day so can't be too bad.

If by bigger you mean bigger bore then you will find it harder to get up to a decent pressure. Large volume pumps are great for moving quantities of air but less useful for pressure. Hence fat pumps for MTB and thin pumps for road bikes.
  • I bought the topeak Hybrid Rocket HP Mini Pump as it is a compact pump that also takes a CO2 canister.
    It is a bit expensive but I got it from evans when it was on offer so managed to get it for £32, I must admit I like the speed of the canister, but always have the pump as a back up (claims 160psi) if unfortunate to have more than two flats. It comes with a holder that holds the pump and two canisters, and this can attach under your cage, it has a quick release on it as well so the whole thing can come of to use easily, mine stays in my back pocket, and the only time I have actually had it attached to the bike is when my pockets were to full of food and extra clothing. So all in all a good design for what i need.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/hybridrocket_hp

Hope this helps.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've currently got a Lezyne Micro floor drive attached to my carbon bike ... it's very handy and makes life easy to get the tyres up to pressure - as I found out on holiday a couple of weeks back - got a flat, put the spare in and found that had a hole in, put a second spare in, pumped up ok.
    Got to the accommodation and repaired the two faulty tubes - decided to swap out the one currently in there for a different one (so I definitely had a good spare) - pumped up and it went !! B A N G !! so had to remove that, find what caused the explosion - could only find a rough bit on the rim - put some tape over that, put the second spare repaired tube in and pumped up again - patched the exploded tube and then finally packed it all away.
    We had no access to full sized stand pump - so this was our main pump for the week (plus we had a hand pump on her bike).

So really pleased with it ... however ... you do have to be careful how you mount it - it's scratched some of the paintwork on my other bike - so I had to use a bit of old inner tube to pad the bit that rubbed.

but yes - why go for a pocket pump - CO2 in the pocket is ok for fast changes and I sometimes do that too, but a good pump on the frame with a hose attachment to the valve is what I prefer ...
  • ai_1
    I bought the topeak Hybrid Rocket HP Mini Pump as it is a compact pump that also takes a CO2 canister.
    Looks like a good solution.
    ....mine stays in my back pocket....
    But why?
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I bought the topeak Hybrid Rocket HP Mini Pump as it is a compact pump that also takes a CO2 canister.
    Looks like a good solution.
    ....mine stays in my back pocket....
    But why?

Simple answer, because I don't want it on the down tube, no reasoning behind this, just my personal preference. :D
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Topeak Micro Rocket is the ideal size for carrying in your jersey. I take one as backup to my CO2 system (which I also carry in my jersey) when I'm out on the good bike.

I have a Topeak Pocket Rocket Masterblaster, which is a bit too long for jersey use, attached to the downtube of my winter bike, but it's taken a fair bit of paint off the frame so I won't ever be repeating that mistake with any other bike.

I've had several bad experiences with screw on pumps getting stuck or breaking valve cores so I wouldn't recommend them either.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Lezyne do there new cfh mini manual + co2 pumps, not the cheapest but very good, have pump with attachment tube so you can attatch it easy as well as not break your valve, plus you can attatch co2 to the tube to make a co2 setup :-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure ... cartridge/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I use the Lezyne Road Drive pump, fixed to the vertical mounted bottle cage

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ezypumr250

From a safety perspective, I would never contemplate carrying a rigid tube ie a pump in my back pocket which could cause untold damage to back or kidneys in the event of a crash. The road drive has a flexible hose connection which is much easier on tube valves and can get tyres up to a decent pressure without too much effort.

Peter