Fox Suspension Wear?

kevincabral
kevincabral Posts: 22
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
This is a Fox Talas 120mm ctd fork, brand new and installed few days ago. I did notice a squeak sound once I sit on the bike. Then Fox told me it was because the seals were dry, so I flipped the bike upside down overnight. Could this mark on the stanchion be from the bushing being dry? I noticed a 2nd line next to it. Seems like its the markings from the bushings. I touched both and it seems smooth to me, doesn't feel like its engraved. As you can see, it fades away half way through. Should I be concerned? Or would scratches be more noticeable even when you touch it? If you rub off the oil from that (right) stanchion, that's when the line is noticeable. When there is oil on it, it's hard to see it. Also, if you were to see it head on, you won't be able to see it. Once you shine light to it in an angle, it shows slightly.

Maybe because the fork is brand new, those 2 lines I'm seeing is just wear starting to begin? I can't imagine it being scratches, I haven't even hit the trails yet! Blank Stare If the stanchions are that sensitive, that's ridiculous :S

Here's the images I took to show you guys what I mean:

882240d1396505451-fox-suspension-201430402_235056-0-.jpg

882241d1396505456-fox-suspension-13964931195358.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You would do better making sure the foam rings are correctly soaked in fluid. Turing the bike upside down would do nothing much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I don't understand though, wouldn't Fox of done that at the factory? If it were a scratch lets say, would oil be leaking because of the scratch? It seems the markings is what you see underneath the seals.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This has never been ridden at all? Looks suspiciously like a piece of grit is stuck in the seal to do that. In fact I can see something raised under the line next to the seal.
  • supersonic wrote:
    This has never been ridden at all? Looks suspiciously like a piece of grit is stuck in the seal to do that. In fact I can see something raised under the line next to the seal.

I haven't hit the trails yet :| If it was grit stuck or was stuck, I'm impressed by the kashima coating. When I run my finger (not my nail) across that line, it's smooth. I assume I shouldn't worry about it? Scratches cause oil leaks right?
  • supersonic
    Only deep ones. Most nicks are fine, and your fork has a sealed damper anyway.
  • supersonic wrote:

You made my day! I was stressing large over this. There are 2 other thinner lines next to the one you see in the photos. It's hidden behind that bridge on the fork. Not sure why it's on the right side of the fork though. Either way, like I said, when I run my finger across it, it's smooth to the touch. I dodged a bullet I assume haha. Either that or when I got the fork, it was dry and after a few compression's it caused the mark? I think the end of summer I'll do an oil change before the cold comes. Unless it has to be done earlier?

Is there a website where I can buy the kit I need for an oil change? Also, how much does my talas 32 120mm ctd (2014) model fork require on both legs?
  • supersonic
    Best off looking at the Fox website - all should be listed with oil volumes! (both the damper and the lubrication bath)
  • I was thinking as well... If it were a scratch lets say... wouldn't it be more noticeable and I wouldn't have to be so close with a flash light shining it at an angle to spot the wear? I compressed the fork a few times and with the oil sitting on the stanchions, the wear mark is hard to spot. Once you wipe it though, it is more noticeable when light is shinned to it.

Anyhow, you helped out with my stress. I was worrying all day that I ruined the fork and it's brand new too! :(
  • supersonic wrote:
    Best off looking at the Fox website - all should be listed with oil volumes! (both the damper and the lubrication bath)

I'll do that :) thank you!
  • supersonic wrote:

Forgot to mention. When you say my fork has a sealed damper... you mean it shouldn't leak on the right leg? Just a bit confused, bare with me haha. 8)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    It's brand new? Take a picture, email it to where you bought it from or mojo. It's probably nothing, but on a £700+ fork brand new, I'd like it perfect. If there's grit inside it it needs to be removed before it makes a scratch that does damage the fork.
  • mattv wrote:
    It's brand new? Take a picture, email it to where you bought it from or mojo. It's probably nothing, but on a £700+ fork brand new, I'd like it perfect. If there's grit inside it it needs to be removed before it makes a scratch that does damage the fork.

I emailed the store, hopefully they response by tomorrow if not I'll just call them.

I doubt there is anything stuck inside the seals or dust wipers. I only rode on city streets, no trail riding yet. What the lines look like is what you would see in the lower legs, underneath the foam rings. When I first bought the fork last week and had it installed, it made squeak sounds when I sat on the bike. Fox said to flip the bike upside down overnight, so I did. But I think the wear mark was there when I was riding home because I bet you the foam ring was dry. Hopefully they can help me out, or buff out the line. I'm a clean freak so I doubt it's anything I did. There's only dust or the fluffy stuff you get after wiping with microfiber cloth. After wiping the stanchions, dust or fluffy stuff stays behind, Fox said that's fine. Sand and all that abrasive stuff is what I need to be careful for I would assume. Hopefully something can be done or I'll be bummed out.