Guards, which?

housemunkey
housemunkey Posts: 237
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I've just purchased a Genesis Equilibrium and need to start thinking about guards for it.

I know nothing about guards really and SKS do loads of different ones; I'm sure they all have their purpose but I just don't know what would be best. At the moment I'm thinking maybe chromoplastics? Good coverage is of course important so they need to be nice and long but I also travel with my bike a lot. It goes in the back of my car and this won't be an issue for the rear but will be for the front; are there any that I can remove quickly?

Hopefully some seasoned rain lovers can help me out!

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    SKS Bluemels or SKS Chromoplastics are great. The Bluemels are cheaper and have a 'half-round' profile with possibly slightly more clearance.
  • SKS Raceblades long work for me, easy to fit in the first place and only take a few seconds to remove leaving the clips in place. Great quality and design. They state ok for 23mm tyres however they fit my Cannondale synapse with 25mm tyres with plenty of clearance. Thumbs up from me.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    A friend of mine has the raceblades but the frame has eyelets for guards so I'd be silly not to use them. Plus raceblades don't have good coverage around the brakes.

I might be flogging a dead horse trying to find something that can be removed really quickly so it can go in the car.

So do Chromoplastics sound like the best bet? Do any of the other models have advantages over them?