3 speed to single speed on the front

jakepoole888
jakepoole888 Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hello,
i have recently bought a 2012 scott genius lt 20 carbon :lol: i love the bike, however i am more of a single speed person as i like to keep things basic and cant Fuc*ing stand chain slap. i am looking to use the bike for am/ and enduro racing. The bike is running sram x9 triple speed on the front and 9 speed on the rear.
i am looking to go single speed on the front and ten speed on the rear. im just wondering what parts i will need to do so and how i should go about getting the gearing correct so that theres a wide range of gears fr all types of riding.
also are there any chain guides any body recommends etc

thanks jake.

(i hope his will stop all the chain slap when going down steps and other things.) :D

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    edited April 2014
    First of all, you mean "single ring at the front" not "single speed" (or for simplicity just "1x9").

As for parts, you'll need to get some sort of chain device to stop the chain derailling. Then just use your existing middle ring until you've had a chance to ride it like that for a bit and decide whether you need to size up or down to get the range of gearing that suits you best (you'll also need shorter chainring bolts unless you replace the outer ring with a bashring). Shorten chain to suit gears.

If you really want to elliminate chainslap, then changing to 1x10 with a clutch derailleur might help, but that's a very expensive option in comparison to just converting to 1x9, as it would mean new shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    1x10

deore SG+ rear mech £~25
    narrow wide ring Vectiox £30
    shifter 10sp Zee £25
    chain HG54 £12
    Cassette SLX £20

1X9 assuming 32t middle ring
    bash guard hope ~£35
  • Ok thanks for the help, I'm actually going to go for the 1x10 set up with a clutch rear mech. I'm just a woundering wether to offload all of the SRAM gearing and change to shimano. Which I much prefer compared to the SRAM x9
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Ok thanks for the help, I'm actually going to go for the 1x10 set up with a clutch rear mech. I'm just a woundering wether to offload all of the SRAM gearing and change to shimano. Which I much prefer compared to the SRAM x9

Well, as a change to 10 speed is going to necessitate changing everything anyway, you can do what you like - you won't be able to keep any of the existing stuff anyway.

A lot of people going to 1x10 use the Shimano gravity-orientated Zee shifters and mechs as a starting point, as they're designed to take a fair bit of abuse, plus the mech is specifically designed for 1x setups, with an extra-short cage (just make sure you get the "wide range" version, the other one is only for use by downhillers using close-ratio road cassettes).
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod82432
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod82431