arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    I need a new boiler :cry::cry: Has anyone got a free one?? :cry::cry:

I thought you were generating enough heat these days to not need one?

Maybe this is for the ex-marital home where there's not much heat generating action going on anymore?
    In one arran :lol:

Surely a gentleman would share his heat generation around both homes? In two so to speak!
    Are we still taking about boilers? :shock:

Well how else are expecting the ex-wife to stay warm :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Maybe this is for the ex-marital home where there's not much heat generating action going on anymore?

Surely a gentleman would share his heat generation around both homes? In two so to speak!

Can you get me a cheap boiler or not!??
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Can you get me a cheap boiler or not!??

Maybe :mrgreen:

PM me with what make and model you want.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • We were quoted 2k to replace our boiler all in by a local tradesman. A boiler costs around £700 and considering the technical skills involved £1600 sounds decent, I haven't heard of much cheaper and would be concerned if it was offered cheaper.
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    No boilers better than a vaillant ecotec , buy a cheap boiler and expect cheap crap and it won't last . Baxi is ok , most engineers only ever come across the boilers that brake down. There's only 4 names u wanna trust for there warranty and quality . Vaillant, glow worm, bosch and baxi, everything's eles is turd.

18 years of fixing boilers for manufactures and the big companies .

1600 is a pretty good price , people have to make a living, just make sure ur systems cleaned and a filters fitted .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    There are lots of old boilers over on the Aintree thread.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    At last a boiler with little or no maintanence, and also get fit whilst using it, what more could you possibly want in life.
    makesteambike.jpg:lol:
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    We were quoted 2k to replace our boiler all in by a local tradesman. A boiler costs around £700 and considering the technical skills involved £1600 sounds decent, I haven't heard of much cheaper and would be concerned if it was offered cheaper.
    This type of thread is repeated over and over again on Plumbing and Heating Forums,borne out of consumer ignorance.
    £700 will NOT buy you a decent boiler+ flue +controls+ chemicals+ filter+ pipe and fittings.
    Sure, a disreputable installer could pick up a Ravenheat or Heatline from B+Q and throw it in in half a day with no flushing or proper commissioning for under a grand- you will be lucky if it lasts 3 years.
    If you think you are being ripped off why don't you learn to do it yourself then you can't complain?
    I have been in the central heating game for the past ten years and sole traders do not get further work if they charge inflated prices. Unfortunately, ignorance on the part of the consumer has created a large amount of unfair cynicism about tradesmen's earnings.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What would you say is a minimum you would charge for a boiler install for a typical 2 bed semi then?

I think the costs issue is the same one that affects cycling, when people are incredulous that you can't buy a decent bike for under £200.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Including a decent boiler (Worscester, Vaillant Ecotec) anything under £2.5k is decent value ... That should include flush & magnaclean ...

I'd also maybe add an extra few hundred for new radiator thermostat valves ...

I'd rather haggle on servicing (maybe ask for 2 years free) than the boiler/parts as you'll only suffer with cheaper parts ...

Bear in mind that if your boiler lasts 7 years it'll all work out less than £1 a day ...
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    What would you say is a minimum you would charge for a boiler install for a typical 2 bed semi then?

It's difficult to give a price without some more details- what system is fitted at the moment? Is it a conventional 2 pipe system or a one pipe system?if it's the latter it needs upgrading. Is it a straight boiler swap or is there a cylinder and tank(s) to be removed? any loft work involved? How old are your radiators/valves-if they are old (20yrs+) they should be replaced. What size gas pipe is feeding your current boiler? That may be undersized at present and will need replacing.
    Does your system need powerflushing,i.e. is there a lot of corrosion in there? If so, this will add to the cost.
    And of course, how much do you want to spend on the boiler itself? this could vary between £800 and £1300 approx.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    You can get a boiler for a whole weekend in Plymouth for a tenner.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!