Great Manchester Cycle 2014

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,977
Are any forumites riding this year? Me and two of Mrs HD's brothers are booked onto the 26 mile event, whilst I'd have liked to have had a crack at the 52m they've only just taken up riding so we're doing it together.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Did it last year and its a well run event. Not very challenging but you can get a good head of speed riding in a bunch which is good fun. IMO I think anyone can do the 52 miler its pan flat with plenty of drafting. I'm thinking of doing it again this year.
  • homers_double
    Almost two weeks to go, I know it isn't the biggest of events but surely the prospect of riding along the city streets and a motorway has some appeal to the lycra crowd?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I decided against this one as I have done the 26 and 52 in the last two years respectively. It is a well organised event but after 4 laps it gets a bit boring.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Can you book in on the day?
    Its my birthday the day before and wouldnt mind a blast if I am hangover free.
  • homers_double
    FAQ's say not, I've looked into this for someone else who's getting a new bike this week and wants to ride it.

TBH the start isn't until 11.45 for the 26 mile so you've plenty of time to clear your head for it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • xavierdisley
    xavierdisley Posts: 159
    We'll be there again, trying to go quicker than last time. Closed roads are really nice, one of the reasons we keep coming back - if you see two riders in black/blue RST Sport/Aero-Coach kit attempting to smack it round, that's us ;)

Just hoping it doesn't rain

Xav
  • Third year I have done it, it's a great ride, really well organised, and each time it's been dry and sunny :roll:
  • homers_double
    BBC weather is showing a dry day on Saturday and sun/cloud on Sunday so it should be good. I'm forgoing my usual saturday morning ride so I've got fresh legs. 30odd km this morning so should be good!

I'll hopefully be at the front of the queue for the 26 miler in a red/black Funkier top and a black spesh helmet on an Allez.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Yes i went and did the 52.

Great ride and well organised and pleasantly surprised not too many a-holes thinking they own the road,a few i saw but mostly were well behaved.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • xavierdisley
    They changed the corners slightly which was handy, no dead turns this year. We went faster than last year so pretty happy.

It's not a race though:

http://www.strava.com/activities/159422361

Xav
  • homers_double
    http://app.strava.com/activities/159516862

Rolled in 21st on the 26 mile event which is a big improvement on last years 75th. I managed to keep with the lead group until 1/2 way round the 2nd lap then got dropped.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    I found quite a few people thought they owned the road...... After trying to exchange a few smiles at the startline and left staring at a blank face the day was not really a happy atmosphere. The friendliest people were the few spectators around the course on the side lines!
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    pandazoo wrote:
    I found quite a few people thought they owned the road...... After trying to exchange a few smiles at the startline and left staring at a blank face the day was not really a happy atmosphere

That sums it up nicely. Tbh it is the same in bike racing generally, a lot of big egos floating about. The fast guys NEVER talk to the slow guys ,it's bad for their image and their egos don't allow it. Bit pathetic really.
  • zingaiya
    zingaiya Posts: 52
    As one of the slow guys, there was plenty of banter at the back of the assembly point.
  • xavierdisley
    People seemed fairly friendly out on course - I was just sat at around 280-320w most of the time with my girlfriend on my wheel. Having said that one chap sprinted past and then shouted for me to "keep up the pace", I assume he wanted me to leapfrog him, doing 400w+ in the process which I duly didn't do :D he was having a right mare telling people to drag him round, I hope he enjoyed himself.

Couple of dodgy bits of riding but on the whole everyone seemed like they were enjoying themselves, mega respect to the people who were out on course for a long time doing the 52 miles, it's quite a draining route as there's no real respite w/downhills etc.

Xav
  • foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    They changed the corners slightly which was handy, no dead turns this year. We went faster than last year so pretty happy.

It's not a race though:

http://www.strava.com/activities/159422361

Xav

Is that your Strava? The Winner? Not a Race ;-)

I enjoyed it, first time really riding with a lot of others. Amazing how much fast you can go in a group! I tend to go out at stupid o'clock to avoid the traffic.
  • xavierdisley
    No not mine of course, you can tell by the fact it's not my name! :D

Xav