Alpe d'huez 2014 trip

esdel
esdel Posts: 28
edited April 2014 in Road general
Any one in a mind to join me in going to Alpe DHuez at the end of July to ride up the little Beauty.

If I can fill a small Minibus the cost would be pretty good, and you can tick it off the List.

Just looking for an indication at this stage if anyone else is up for it, most of my biking buddies are either working and or have families and cant get away.

Likely pick up would be any where from Southampton up M3 / M27 / M25 (North Bound) and on to Dover

Probably Dates Leave Wed 30 Th July drive to Accommodation, Thursday chill, Friday Hit Alpe D'Huez, Saturday hit anything else close by or just have a nice ride.

Basicly what ever it costs will be split exactly by how many go, everyone will pay the same, take your own bike.

Thats it i think, answers on a post card.

Comments

• gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I went skiing there last month and the drive up it was bad enough ! Probably not helped by a frustrated race driver driving the coach. Took us about 15 minutes to get down !

Also - it's a long drive there.
  • esdel
    It's only 10 hours

And as for riding it, it's only peddling, for a cyclist is def on the bucket list.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    esdel wrote:
    It's only 10 hours

And as for riding it, it's only peddling, for a cyclist is def on the bucket list.

Honestly I think it will be more than 10 hours including the UK bit plus ferry, can't see you doing it in less than 13/14. One of the guys we went with drove to Grenoble(an hour and a half closer to us) from Bedford and it took him over 12 hours.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,908
    Gimpl wrote:
    Honestly I think it will be more than 10 hours including the UK bit plus ferry, can't see you doing it in less than 13/14. One of the guys we went with drove to Grenoble(an hour and a half closer to us) from Bedford and it took him over 12 hours.
    A good 8 hours solid fast driving from Calais - I'd allow 10 for a minibus with a bit of stopping time.
  • esdel
    Cheers for your input but even if it takes 15 hours, it's not an issue, it's only sitting down
  • briantrumpet
    Worth the trip, for sure, if you can find some folk to share.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've done that climb a few times and whilst it is iconic if you've never done it before, it's not that long and doesn't take that long (just over an hour for an old duffer like me). A much nicer climb in the area is the Croix de Fer which you can ride to quite easily if you are staying in the Bourg d'Oisans area.

There is a nice restaurant at the Glandon turn-off or a cafe right at the top of the Croix de Fer. The climb will probably take a couple of hours and goes through some very pretty scenery. Definitely worth a day out.

By the way I will be doing it (again!) in early July because I have entered the Marmotte again this year. :mrgreen:
  • esdel
    Where are you staying for the marmot the bud, I'm thinking of having a crack next year
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I shall be going again at the end of june with the club cant wait :D also doing the surrounding areas.
    If you can get your bus full its a great trip.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    esdel wrote:
    Where are you staying for the marmot the bud, I'm thinking of having a crack next year

Six of us have rented an apartment for ten days at Oz en Oisans. We're driving down on the Thursday so we can have a bit of rest before the Marmotte on the Saturday. Then we are going to ride one or two climbs a day in the area for the following week. We will probably drive down and do the Ventoux on one day as well which is what three of us did a couple of years ago as well. Now that is an epic climb and a wonderful day out too if you can make it.
  • esdel
    Did vontoux last year, want to go back and do all 3 ways In day, should of done it when we were there but poor planning
  • ravenvrider
    ravenvrider Posts: 198
    I am interested, i have been looking at going but as a single every way i looked it was going to cost me about £1000 including spending money, so will be interested in what sort of money you are hoping for.

I live in Christchurch so just down the road from you, the only other immediate reservation i have is where i work has its summer shut down for 2 weeks starting on Saturday 2nd of August and i am not sure if they would let me have another 3 days off prior, but you never know.
  • briantrumpet
    Taking a car will cost about £500-600 including tolls, fuel, ferry etc., so if you can fill it, you can get there and back for about £150 each (excluding wear and tear on the car). you should be able to find somewhere for £30-40 a night, plus your food, at say £20 a day, if you can avoid eating out all the time. If you can find someone with a tow-bar, the cheapo (£180) Halfords 4-bike rack is a real bargain, and only works out at £45 each, even if you effectively write it off (which you won't - they sturdy little things).

It can be done.