90 kg

Bumpy Isle of Wight roads.

Mavic ksyrium elites

No problems.

I did ride the IoW quite a lot... the roads are not bumpy at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have pretty much decided to get some hand builts, it sounds the most sensible way to go. the only thing is ho much i will spend, as i said earlier i have spec'd up some to £425. i do wonder about going a bit cheaper on my first build and get 105 hubs and open pro rims instead? not sure how much a difference there is between any of the components.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    105 hubs only take up to 10 speed, Ultegra hubs take up to 11 speed and only cost 50-60 quid more, it's a no brainer, given the all Shimano range is moving to 11 speed.
  • ianbar
    thats a good point ugo , i do intend to get the 105 11sp! any real difference between ultegra and hope?
    enigma esprit
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes, Ultegra only offer you 32 holes. Cup cone bearings are smooth and nice, but if you don't service them they might turn out a nightmare.
    Sealed bearings are more forgiving, you ignore them, you simply replace them when they're gone... hope come in all counts and colours... but they are nearly twice the price and come without the excellent Shimano skewers.

At your weight Ultegra seems the better deal
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    ianbar wrote:
    thats a good point ugo , i do intend to get the 105 11sp! any real difference between ultegra and hope?

The other thing to consider is the Hope freehub sounds like a bubble-gum card stuck in the spokes whereas the Ultegra freehub is virtually silent. Interestingly I have Hope hubs on my MTB where I don't mind it but I like my road freehubs to be totally silent. Maybe it's a terrain thing.

Search YouTube for "Hope hub sound" to see whether you can put up with it. I think Ugo's apocalyptic view of unmaintained Shimano hubs is a bit exaggerated as well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    hypster wrote:
    The other thing to consider is the Hope freehub sounds like a bubble-gum card stuck in the spokes

nonsense, another statement like this and the respect I have for your mechanical skills will slide down a slippery slope... :?
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:
    The other thing to consider is the Hope freehub sounds like a bubble-gum card stuck in the spokes

nonsense, another statement like this and the respect I have for your mechanical skills will slide down a slippery slope... :?

LOL! Have you been on YouTube and heard the myriad of examples on there? Or have Hope recanted and changed the design for the Mono RS freehub? If so, I withdraw my criticism unreservedly and bow to your superior wisdom and experience.
  • ugo.santalucia
    hypster wrote:
    Or have Hope recanted and changed the design for the Mono RS freehub? If so, I withdraw my criticism unreservedly and bow to your superior wisdom and experience.

They have actually... sounds a bit like Chris King now, they've gone from 24 to 42 teeth. It's an awesome freehub mechanism, the best at that price point
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:
    Or have Hope recanted and changed the design for the Mono RS freehub? If so, I withdraw my criticism unreservedly and bow to your superior wisdom and experience.

They have actually... sounds a bit like Chris King now, they've gone from 24 to 42 teeth. It's an awesome freehub mechanism, the best at that price point

In that case I could be tempted to get a set of the Mono RS hubs in future for a build as I quite like Hope gear. Thanks for the information upgrade Ugo. :mrgreen:
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:

I went to Bespoked today and stopped at the Hope stand to examine the Mono RS freehub. It still sounds like a demented cicada on heat to me and a couple of wheelbuilders at the show whose opinion I canvassed agreed. If you think different Ugo then I suggest you get your hearing checked because it's way too loud for me.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    How was the show? Planning on going tomorrow - is it worth it???
  • ugo.santalucia
    hypster wrote:
    I went to Bespoked today and stopped at the Hope stand to examine the Mono RS freehub. It still sounds like a demented cicada on heat to me and a couple of wheelbuilders at the show whose opinion I canvassed agreed. If you think different Ugo then I suggest you get your hearing checked because it's way too loud for me.

All good then, they haven't lost the strength... I was worried :wink: the freehub is the same, more teeth means higher pitch. My point is if you are serious you should appreciate decent engineering, if you are not, then get those paltry freehubs with undersized pawls and go telling people that they're great...
    I normally tend to get out of any build where the guy is interested in these bullxxit.. coloured nipples, silent freehubs, radial builds, I really don't want to deal with cosmetics and compromise quality for the sake of some nonsense. I do like to build components that last without too much care and make people happy, if they are loud they are loud, if they are silent they are silent... Hope hubs do make people happy... end of...
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

The louder the freehub the better IMHO. It's useful to let people know where you are... Plus, I like being obnoxious.

Sadly, my hubs are all either silent or quiet :(

My favourite sounding hub is the hub that DT Swiss used in their R1700 wheels, whatever that is.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:

All good then, they haven't lost the strength... I was worried :wink: the freehub is the same, more teeth means higher pitch. My point is if you are serious you should appreciate decent engineering, if you are not, then get those paltry freehubs with undersized pawls and go telling people that they're great...
    I normally tend to get out of any build where the guy is interested in these bullxxit.. coloured nipples, silent freehubs, radial builds, I really don't want to deal with cosmetics and compromise quality for the sake of some nonsense. I do like to build components that last without too much care and make people happy, if they are loud they are loud, if they are silent they are silent... Hope hubs do make people happy... end of...

I'm not sure what silent freehubs of dubious quality you are alluding to but all the near-silent Shimano freehubs I have come across are practically bullet-proof.

You have run down the cup and cone bearings in the past preferring the ease with which cartridge bearings are replaced but I have several Shimano hubs that have tens of thousands of miles on them with no maintenance from me whatsoever and they are still running fine. These are cheap hubs on old, family bikes that I no longer care about so haven't bothered to service them literally this century!

I'm not disputing the quality of the Hope hub, it's top notch, up there with the best I would say so I do appreciate good engineering. Equally I'm not sure why people associate a loud freewheel with good engineering. I tend to think it's a bit agricultural and smacks of lazy engineering if you ask me.
  • hypster
    solboy10 wrote:
    How was the show? Planning on going tomorrow - is it worth it???

I thought it was worthwhile. Some nice bikes on show and some great people to discuss various things with. Not a huge amount there in bike show terms, it took me about 2 hours to get round it all maybe 1 1/2 times. First pass to check it all out and second pass to revisit the bits I was most interested in.

20-25 minute walk from Stratford station to the velodrome if you are going by train. You can ride the velodrome as well when you are there. I didn't pay a lot of attention but Condor Cycles had a load of track bikes that they were presumably charging for and taking about 20 riders out on the track at a time and supervising them. You will need riding gear and a helmet which obviously a lot of people will already have if they cycle there.
  • ianbar
    after having a chat with my lbs while taking my bike in for its service, i think will lbw looking at some hope mono rs on magic open pro rims. should be ablaut £350 for the set. i think they should be a good training wheel, cheap and easy to fix. a good starting point for me in hand built wheels.
    enigma esprit
  • How old are your Ksyriums and what is the warranty like on your bike? you might be able to just get them replaced under warranty.

I had the exact same thing happen with mine a couple of weeks back (there is a thread on here about it somewhere). Rose cover all components for 5 years so I popped it back to them and got the email today my new replacement wheel is on the way back to me.

Bought a set of Campy Khamsins in the meanwhile as a cheapy set (needed something with an 11sp campy freehub). They're actually rather good. Bit heavy, but feel solid enough.

I'm considering flogging the ksyriums in favour of something else anyway. :)
  • ianbar
    well i have my new wheels, archetype rims, sapim race spokes (32,36), hope rs hubs. i have had a couple of rides and i love them! in fact i loved them the moment i put them on the bike as they look ace! little bit deeper then what i have had before so look that bit more aggressive. i would say they do feel that little bit heavier but the positives far out weigh this. firstly the fact the rims are wider is making it a far nicer ride, much more comfy! i feel i can corner a bit better (not my strongest suit at best of times) the main big plus has been how strong the wheels feel on a decent, there is a drop that i think i had hit a max of 38mph before and i know i felt a little on the edge there, but my first go with these and i topped 40 and felt very very planted. i think how planted they feel is so far making me love them, hopefully i can start from next week getting out a good bit more and see how they really perform.
    enigma esprit
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    With that many spokes going round at 40mph you are probably creating vortexes to rival those seen on the wing tips of Euro Fighters!!

Glad you are sorted.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ianbar
    lol well i wanted to very much over compensate for reliability! so rather then go with that would make do i wanted to to be sure lol.
    enigma esprit