Cycle Shop - Servicing Nottingham?????

TheMadHouse
TheMadHouse Posts: 40
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Can anyone recommend a bike shop to have my Trek Stache 8 serviced at?????

I also have 4 other bikes (Merida x 2, Specialized and Carrera) that my family use, that will need a service. I`m after somewhere that won`t fob you off because you didn`t buy the bike from them.

Live south Nottingham and used to take my bike to Freewheel in Nottingham city center, however as far as I can workout, they no longer exist. They are no longer Trek dealers and I know 2 of the former staff now work at the Specialized store in Nottingham.
I know that there is a new cycle store in West Bridgford,2 miles from me, called `The Cycle Garage` but I can find no reviews or opinions of them.
I`m looking for a quality place, as I`ve had a bad experience with a localish shop, who didn`t tighten my bottom bracket up and instead of grease used petroleum jelly. I`d leave my bike with them and come back a few days later and they wouldn`t of even looked at it let alone order any parts for it. In the end after them having it 2 weeks and not touching it, I picked it up and went to Freewheel with it.
I don`t mind traveling with it in reason, I also go to Sherwood Pines reasonably regular and know there`s a cycle shop there. But again can`t find any reviews or opinions of them.
Anyone offer any thoughts or opinions. I do realize that personal experience can affect peoples viewpoint of shops but there must be somewhere localish.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get yourself tooled up and learn to service them yourself. There's nothing complicated on a bicycle.
    The Park Tools website has simple instructions for every job including tool lists and videos.
    You will save yourself a heap of cash and be able to tweek things between services.
    The only servicing I will pay for is an annual full service of my forks (not included is a bike shop service) I just like to pay for that to get them inspected internally and the dampers serviced.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said ^^^^^^^^
    Read Parktools and DIY. Bikes don't need servicing, they need regular maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I do maintain them, cleaning, degreasing lubing etc - its the one thing that`s commented on about my bike, it looks well cared for - yes I do ride it in all weathers - if you think its sat in the shed 24-7
    But when it comes to adjusting gears or alike for example it ALWAYS goes wrong or takes hours. I haven`t a clue on what parts to order or if its something bigger than needs doing I haven`t a clue.
  • rockmonkeysc
    All a shop will do is squirt on some lube, check brakes and adjust gears.
    Gear adjustment is really simple, have a look on the Park Tools guide and have a bash at it. Just be methodical and think about what each adjustment you make is going to do.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I would say do it yourself, that's what I do.

However, if you want to take it to a shop, I was in freewheel over christmas, as far as I'm aware, they're still there, and they know their stuff.
    The shop in west bridgford is crap and only sells BSOs, once asked the guy in there about bleeding disc brakes and he told me 'nobody does that any more'. Don't touch the place with a barge pole.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    As others have said, gears are really simple. Get hold of a tech manual for a rear mech from shimano/sram whichever you use and just set it up from the start as if it were brand new. The instructions are easy to follow and it's dead simple.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:

However, if you want to take it to a shop, I was in freewheel over christmas, as far as I'm aware, they're still there, and they know their stuff.
    The shop in west bridgford is crap and only sells BSOs, once asked the guy in there about bleeding disc brakes and he told me 'nobody does that any more'. Don't touch the place with a barge pole.

Freewheel is no longer listed on Treks website. I`ve been ringing them for last week to 10 days with no answer, so I went down and they were shut with all signs that they are going, or some thing is seriously amiss. Missing displays, all treks bikes gone, no proper bikes on display something is wrong.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    There are a few bike shops in WB. The one you mention is ok, doesn't sell BSOs and I've had good service. It is really expensive though and for most jobs, including setting up gears etc you would do very well to learn it yourself else you'll be taking out a new mortgage.

If you are willing to travel, pedal power is Loughborough is good (run by mechanics for the GB triathlon team and brother of GB team coach). I've also had decent service at the spec concept store.

Also, this chap will do a good job at a good price: https://sites.google.com/site/callumscycles/home
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

Freewheel is no longer listed on Treks website. I`ve been ringing them for last week to 10 days with no answer, so I went down and they were shut with all signs that they are going, or some thing is seriously amiss. Missing displays, all treks bikes gone, no proper bikes on display something is wrong.
    Oh, fair enough. Maybe they've recently closed down then. To be fair, they didn't have a great deal of bikes in stock when i went in over christmas.
    There's Bunneys Bikes, on canal street near the station, they're not bad. Other than that, I don't really know any bike shops down your way.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    There are a few bike shops in WB. The one you mention is ok, doesn't sell BSOs and I've had good service. It is really expensive though and for most jobs, including setting up gears etc you would do very well to learn it yourself else you'll be taking out a new mortgage.
    Oops, I didn't bother reading his post properly, you're right. The cycle garage looks alright - I didn't know there was a new bike shop in WB. I was thinking of Radcliffe Road Cycles - they are shite.
    EDIT: The servicing prices in the cycle garage look about in line with what I would expect, not mega expensive.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    There is another one on Musters Road but I haven't been there. Are you a member of a club? They are an excellent resource of knowledge that can help you understand how to keep your bike maintained and there are quite a few active in or near WB.
  • PuttyKnees wrote:

If you are willing to travel, pedal power is Loughborough is good (run by mechanics for the GB triathlon team and brother of GB team coach). I've also had decent service at the spec concept store.

Also, this chap will do a good job at a good price: https://sites.google.com/site/callumscycles/home

Ok thanks very much, will have a look and enquire. Wouldn`t need a full service just certain items really. Don`t look too expensive for the WB cycle garage.
    I do some some stuff on my bike - clean, lube and grease up of parts etc, its more stuff like headset, bottom bracket etc that I haven`t a clue on
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    Oops, I didn't bother reading his post properly, you're right. The cycle garage looks alright - I didn't know there was a new bike shop in WB. I was thinking of Radcliffe Road Cycles - they are shite.
    EDIT: The servicing prices in the cycle garage look about in line with what I would expect, not mega expensive.

Radcliffe Road - not a cat in hells chance.
    There is another one at the bottom of Musters Road but haven`t a clue about them.
    The Cycle Garage are agents for TFTuned so seems promising.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why not just send direct to TF Tuned and save some cash?
  • Why not just send direct to TF Tuned and save some cash?

Not saying I wouldn`t send them off myself, just knowing that they are agents may indicate that they may know what they are doing, on the other hand they might not have a clue.
    Would quiz them a bit before sent my bike there anyway
  • cnud
    cnud Posts: 11
    Can you get to Sherwood Pines? Dale the mechanic in the bike shop is excellent and it's very reasonably priced
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    ilovedirt wrote:

I think your talking about radcliffe road cycles. The cycle garage is in the centre of west bridgford and a cracking shop. The guys there certainly know their stuff.

I would agree about tooling up and doing it yourself though.
  • rockmonkeysc

Not saying I wouldn`t send them off myself, just knowing that they are agents may indicate that they may know what they are doing, on the other hand they might not have a clue.

How can you have an agent for a service company who deal direct through an online business? That makes no sense at all and I have never heard of any agents for TF Tuned.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351

How can you have an agent for a service company who deal direct through an online business? That makes no sense at all and I have never heard of any agents for TF Tuned.

In essence, you drop the fork/shock off there and they send it off to TFTuned and then collect it back for them and offer refit options/services.

Pointless in my opinion, but there we go.
  • rockmonkeysc
    So they're a postal service, not an agent.
    Most shops will send your suspension away to be serviced for you. Doesn't make them a good shop and certainly doesn't make them an agent.
  • So they're a postal service, not an agent.
    Most shops will send your suspension away to be serviced for you. Doesn't make them a good shop and certainly doesn't make them an agent.

Only going by what they have under suspension servicing on their website with regard to being agents.
    They are I guess, an account holder and do the leg work for you and charge you for the privilege for sending it and refitting it to your bike.
    I do agree that, in essence, its means jack if there any good, just might indicate they have some idea of what you want rather than fobbing you off.
  • cnud wrote:
    Can you get to Sherwood Pines? Dale the mechanic in the bike shop is excellent and it's very reasonably priced

I do go there, quite often sometimes, but haven`t heard good or bad about Sherwood Pines Cycles.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Can anyone recommend a bike shop to have my Trek Stache 8 serviced at?????

I also have 4 other bikes (Merida x 2, Specialized and Carrera) that my family use, that will need a service. I`m after somewhere that won`t fob you off because you didn`t buy the bike from them.

Live south Nottingham and used to take my bike to Freewheel in Nottingham city center, however as far as I can workout, they no longer exist. They are no longer Trek dealers and I know 2 of the former staff now work at the Specialized store in Nottingham.
    I know that there is a new cycle store in West Bridgford,2 miles from me, called `The Cycle Garage` but I can find no reviews or opinions of them.
    I`m looking for a quality place, as I`ve had a bad experience with a localish shop, who didn`t tighten my bottom bracket up and instead of grease used petroleum jelly. I`d leave my bike with them and come back a few days later and they wouldn`t of even looked at it let alone order any parts for it. In the end after them having it 2 weeks and not touching it, I picked it up and went to Freewheel with it.
    I don`t mind traveling with it in reason, I also go to Sherwood Pines reasonably regular and know there`s a cycle shop there. But again can`t find any reviews or opinions of them.
    Anyone offer any thoughts or opinions. I do realize that personal experience can affect peoples viewpoint of shops but there must be somewhere localish.

Try Sshokwave in Ruddington. http://www.sshokwavebikes.co.uk

Or Leisure Lakes in Breaston.
  • sc1858
    sc1858 Posts: 25
    Cycle Garage in my opinion is really good
    they did a full rebuild on my cotic and had it done in two days and its rides brilliantly and the price was reasonable too.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    My first experience at Freewheel was a bad one, but gave them a chance and they were great after that. I work round the corner and the last couple of times I went past first there was a sign up saying they were closed due to staffing issues, the second they were shut and most of the display was empty. A shame if they're gone as they were all good guys.

I only hear good things about the cycle garage, even if they do seem to spend most of their time in Mud Crab!

Great dealings with the guys at Sherwood Pines aswell. Great service the couple of times I've needed them.

Awful experience of Leisure Lakes so won't use them again.
  • YIMan
    ste_t wrote:
    My first experience at Freewheel was a bad one, but gave them a chance and they were great after that. I work round the corner and the last couple of times I went past first there was a sign up saying they were closed due to staffing issues, the second they were shut and most of the display was empty. A shame if they're gone as they were all good guys.

I only hear good things about the cycle garage, even if they do seem to spend most of their time in Mud Crab!

Great dealings with the guys at Sherwood Pines aswell. Great service the couple of times I've needed them.

Awful experience of Leisure Lakes so won't use them again.

I've too have had nothing but hassle with Leisure Lakes, I mustn't have read the bit of the question that asked for recommendations....
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    YIMan wrote:
    I've too have had nothing but hassle with Leisure Lakes, I mustn't have read the bit of the question that asked for recommendations....

If that had made sense, I would have assumed you were trying to be a smartarse.

Good effort.
  • YIMan
    ste_t wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

If that had made sense, I would have assumed you were trying to be a smartarse.

Good effort.

I have no idea what you're on about.