Shimano rim weights

edavies92
edavies92 Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Can anyone please tell me the weights of Shimano rs20 and r501 front rims? Both 20 spoke.

Thanks

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I can when I get home. My 501's are off the bike, without tires atm so will weigh the front later.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I can when I get home. My 501's are off the bike, without tires atm so will weigh the front later.

That's kind, but I don't think it is the total weight that he's interested in: just the rim...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Camcycle1974
    Ah, yes. Good point DB. Do Shimano even publish these? Heavy would be my best guess. Built with less spokes to keep overall weight down but rim weight must be close to 500g.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Ah, yes. Good point DB. Do Shimano even publish these? Heavy would be my best guess. Built with less spokes to keep overall weight down but rim weight must be close to 500g.

I don't think they do, it's going to be tricky to find.

Out of interest, why would you like to know, OP?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Thanks for offering to help, but I only want the rim weights.

I have been trying to find the cross section of the R501 rim without cutting it in half, for an engineering project, but have not been able to find it online or by contacting the UK dealer. I have a feeling that the cross section is very similar to the RS20 (which I know) and so was wondering if they weighed the same as this would suggest that they had the same cross section.

I know this may not be in the correct forum but didn't know where to put the question.
  • Camcycle1974
    Legitimate question Ed. One of the wheel experts on here might be able to help. I have a friend who recently trashed his 500 wheel, I might be able to get him to saw it in half!
  • Thanks Camcycle, if your friend has trashed their wheel then would they consider selling it?
  • Camcycle1974
    edavies92 wrote:
    Thanks Camcycle, if your friend has trashed their wheel then would they consider selling it?

Maybe. Will ask unless he has already ditched it. Might donate it to a good cause!