Best $1000 USD Wheelset

cjmuratore
cjmuratore Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking for some advise on the best +/-$1,000 USD wheelset. I want it to be Shimano 11 speed compatible. A little about me and my riding habits - I am 6 foot 7 inches tall, about 200 lbs. Have been riding for about 15 years. Compete in about 10 races a year. Most of my training is done on flat, relatively smooth roads at 20+ miles per hour but also compete in some hill climbs and hilly terrain. Wind is also a factor since it can be windy at times where I live. Looking for an all around fast, comfortable, durable wheel for training and racing. I am considering the Dura-Ace WH9000 C24 and the Reynolds Assault Carbon wheelset. I have never ridden carbon wheels before so I don't know what to expect. My current wheels are about 4 or 5 years old Mavic Ksyrium Elite and I have been happy with them. My bike is a Trek carbon frame about 10 years old with Shimano Ultegra components. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    cjmuratore wrote:
    I am looking for some advise on the best +/-$1,000 USD wheelset. I want it to be Shimano 11 speed compatible. A little about me and my riding habits - I am 6 foot 7 inches tall, about 200 lbs. Have been riding for about 15 years. Compete in about 10 races a year. Most of my training is done on flat, relatively smooth roads at 20+ miles per hour but also compete in some hill climbs and hilly terrain. Wind is also a factor since it can be windy at times where I live. Looking for an all around fast, comfortable, durable wheel for training and racing. I am considering the Dura-Ace WH9000 C24 and the Reynolds Assault Carbon wheelset. I have never ridden carbon wheels before so I don't know what to expect. My current wheels are about 4 or 5 years old Mavic Ksyrium Elite and I have been happy with them. My bike is a Trek carbon frame about 10 years old with Shimano Ultegra components. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

I'm guessing from your post that you are located in the USA. You might find more information relating to your market from one of the US forums like the Road Bike Review Wheels and Tires forum:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/

I have had two sets of Mavic Kysrium Elites in the past myself (6' 4", 182 lbs) and found them a reasonable wheel but have no experience of the others you mention so cannot comment. Now I build my own wheels which I can configure exactly to my needs rather than rely on factory built wheels. At your sort of size finding a wheel builder to build you a set of hand builts is another option maybe you should consider. You should be able to get some good advice on RBR on this as well if you post your requirements there. There seem to be several knowledgeable wheel builders on that forum who should be able to help.