2014 Cervélo S2 vs. 2014 Felt AR5

Triflo
Triflo Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all! Excited to write my first post, and guess what... it's about buying a new bike!

I am torn apart between those two. I do triathlons during summer and enjoy some hill climbing once in a while. I have those two options.

The story: I ran into the Ar5 by surprise and I really liked the aggressive design and was pleased to hear that Felt actually did a good job in general with bikes (for some reason I had an (unjustified) bias about the Felts).

But then, the S2 was standing there, looking at me, and so now, I'd be curious to hear the opinion of fellow cyclists/tri-aficionados...

Both are pretty polyvalent bikes with similar geometries. I read the Felt had some wheel flex issues from time to time and the Cervélo, well, I'm not really fond of this kind of argument but, it's a Cervélo.

Should it be this:
2014_Felt_AR_road_bike.jpg?itok=Kbjj_dCQ
Or this:
S2-profile-105-960x480-a6350bc9-c185-41a0-ad91-f1b2177c54ae-0-960x480.jpg

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Haha i'd take the top one if they're the same price... although that looks a lot like their top end AR FRD!

Its a tricky one, the new Felt AR frameset has got some very decent reviews, so I'd be leaning towards that. Might be worth checking out the Giant Propel which has also been getting similarly positive reviews.
  • rnarito
    rnarito Posts: 20
    No, that's the AR5. I recently bought the AR4, although I wanted the AR5 at first. I'm very happy with the Felt, but to be fair, I would test ride both to see which one fits you best. They are both excellent bikes. It all depends on what your body tells you.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The Felt, no question. It has less drag over more yaw angles than the S5, never mind the S2. Plus I think Cervelos are ugly as sin played.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    rnarito wrote:
    No, that's the AR5. I recently bought the AR4, although I wanted the AR5 at first. I'm very happy with the Felt, but to be fair, I would test ride both to see which one fits you best. They are both excellent bikes. It all depends on what your body tells you.

Last time I looked the AR5 didn't have DuraAce and Zipps as it's £1700! Nice bike and it would be my choice over a Cervelo.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think I'd go for the AR4 or AR5 unless you're getting a really good deal on the Cervelo.
    rnarito wrote:
    The picture is NOT the AR5.
    The groupset and wheels are wrong (Dura-Ace and Zipp deep rim aero-wheels on the base model? I think not), the colour scheme is wrong (AR5 has white highlights) and the frame is wrong (the visible checkerboard carbon weave pattern is only on the top spec frame which has a different carbon lay-up).
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Definitely the Felt AR5e
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yes get the Felt. The S2 is an old bike now. I was between the AR1 and the new S3 but went for the Felt purely down to the reversible seat post and the design. I have always lusted oveCervelos, but when I was actually in a position to buy one I couldn't do it! Funny as the R3 was my dream bike for a long time.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The AR5 wins hands down for me. It looks better, has better aero and it's not a Cervelo. I'm seriously considering getting an AR5 myself in the summer. The wheel flex comment in the review was down to the build of the wheels and not the frame.

BTW. I wish your picture really was the £1800 AR5.
  • Triflo
    Yeah, sorry about the picture, that's the only decent AR5 I could find... indeed it comes with a 105 groupset...and of course regular retail wheels.

I'm definitely thinking that the AR5 is the bike that's made for me. But is there really an dual position seatpost for tri and road like some people mention, or is it all just a myth?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Triflo wrote:
    Yeah, sorry about the picture, that's the only decent AR5 I could find... indeed it comes with a 105 groupset...and of course regular retail wheels.

I'm definitely thinking that the AR5 is the bike that's made for me. But is there really an dual position seatpost for tri and road like some people mention, or is it all just a myth?
    The picture is an AR but not an AR5.
    Anyway, yes they do have a reversible seatpost. If I remember right it gives approx 72.5 degrees on way and 78 the other. The details are online. I probably read them on the Felt site.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Triflo wrote:

It's no myth. Best of both worlds if you can only have one bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • The S2 also has a reversible seatpost doesn't it? Also it's not a old frame - the new S2 (black and blue version shown in pic) was completely redesigned for 2014. I can't comment on the S2 as never ridden it but I have an S5 which is absolutely brilliant. Did a lot of research and test rode both the AR1 and S5 a few times before purchase. Just didn't like the Felt as much and the S5 was a much better deal.

You need to try and ride them before you decide they are very different.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    The S2 also has a reversible seatpost doesn't it? Also it's not a old frame - the new S2 (black and blue version shown in pic) was completely redesigned for 2014. I can't comment on the S2 as never ridden it but I have an S5 which is absolutely brilliant. Did a lot of research and test rode both the AR1 and S5 a few times before purchase. Just didn't like the Felt as much and the S5 was a much better deal.

Yes but the S5 is not an S2 is it? Like comparing apples and oranges. The S2 and Felt AR5 are in a similar price bracket so the comparison is a fair one.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143

+1

Buying a bike based on a forum's comment must run a high risk of not getting the right one for you. Useful to ask "I am considering xx bike what else should I consider?", but then get to ride some of them.

SV
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Sorry my mistake, didn't realise the S2 had been redesigned too.

Head over to Weight weenies, there's a 44 page thread there discussing the bike and there's lots if input and information from Felt's product manager 'Super Dave'
  • Triflo
    Yes get the Felt. The S2 is an old bike now. I was between the AR1 and the new S3 but went for the Felt purely down to the reversible seat post and the design. I have always lusted oveCervelos, but when I was actually in a position to buy one I couldn't do it! Funny as the R3 was my dream bike for a long time.

YES! That's exactly the position I'm in. I was facing the Cervélo and I was like: I don't know if it's made for me. Plus, I generally like going with the underdogs.