Cervelo R3 - Are they worth it???

Weeman1973
Weeman1973 Posts: 471
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I have two nice bikes in a Scott CR1 SL (yes one of the Westbrook frames) and a Dedacciai Scuro RS, but if I am being 100% honest, neither really do it for me and I find myself lusting after a Cervelo R3.

I would trade the two bikes I have to finance the R3, so my question is will it be worth it - will I get what I am looking for in a bike that truly inspires me every time I mount?

I am looking for something that is comfortable but fast (more into all day Sportives than out & out racing), lightweight and good at climbing which I know the Scott ticks these boxes but as I say I can't help feeling something is missing for me with it.

So, will the Cervelo be all I think & hope it will be, or will I be forking out for a prestige brand and not gaining anything more than I have from either of my two current bikes?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Another CR1 to R3 thread in no time at all...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12964247

...can't say I have experience of the SL version but the CR1 Pro deal at the same time I have ridden and my opinion is that while the power transfer is good, the frame is actually quite boring to ride and quite un-involving and uninspiring to ride. I certainly wouldn't want one if it was a 'best' or 'only' bike. So, if you think something is 'missing' maybe you've found the same thing with the SL version.

Of course, some people will not find it 'un-involving and uninspiring to ride', but it depends what you are comparing it to.

Cervelos vary, some are quite dull too, some feel very agile and alive, the aero ones generally I would put in the former category. I know that's a sweeping thing to say though.

If I was you I would go ride an R3 in the right size for you and see what you think, they are quite lively IMO. Then again the choice is vast when considering all the things you could buy.
  • mekong_velo
    mekong_velo Posts: 102
    Hi,

I just picked up an Cervelo R3 a few days ago, been out twice on it so far and it feels very smooth and comfortable. I realise this is a very limited timescale to review a bike, but I can see no problem siting on it for all day jaunts which is why I went for the R3.

I also had a Retul bike fit done at the same time as part of the package from my LBS.

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • The R3 is still a bike- it's not magical, nor will it change your life.

Having said that- I rode an r3 for about 18 months, and have had an r5 for the last year (they're basically the same, weight and £££ aside)- and I'm a big fan. Good mix of comfort & stiffness for me but most importantly, the geometry works for my dimensions. That's the real kicker, and will make the most difference. Given the CR1 and R3 have pretty similar geo, I guess you've already worked that one out?

As far as the ride- used it for a couple of weeks in the Alps, done an Etape & lots of UK road/crit racing. Found it spot on for all of them.

Anyway- short answer- R3 is great, try one if you can and make sure it fits. I'm sure there are lots of bikes that are similarly good though (I just haven't ridden them!).
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Recently picked up an R3 Dark Edition. Waiting for the summer to take her out but I too wondered what the fuss was about. I have a couple of TCRs which are excellent bikes. Time will tell if I've wasted my cash but there are a few Dark Editions dotted around if you look hard. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    So, will the Cervelo be all I think & hope it will be, or will I be forking out for a prestige brand and not gaining anything more than I have from either of my two current bikes?

You're more than welcome to have a go of my R3 if ever in the north east area. :)
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • Weeman1973
    peteone wrote:
    Weeman1973 wrote:

You're more than welcome to have a go of my R3 if ever in the north east area. :)

Cheers for your kind offer however I am in Cambridge so not really a viable option. Had a nasty off on Friday and smashed my two front teeth off & fractured my shoulder so no riding for a few weeks anyway. Still, plenty of time to research!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    peteone wrote:
    Weeman1973 wrote:

Cheers for your kind offer however I am in Cambridge so not really a viable option. Had a nasty off on Friday and smashed my two front teeth off & fractured my shoulder so no riding for a few weeks anyway. Still, plenty of time to research!

Ouch, not an R3 but they do have a lovely R5 in the window of Primo at the moment if you have a spare 5k kicking about?! Primo are the people to talk to, not sure if there are any R3 Dark Editions knocking about that they could source for you. Good luck on your recovery, sounds nasty.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    At the end of the day - it is just a bike. Plenty of bikes will let you ride all day without discomfort.
    Save some money and take your bike to the Alps or something - that is money well spent. Ride the Tour climbs. You'll have memories for decades.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Or you could pick up a bargain R5 (once you heal):

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12964681

Sorry, excuse the shameless plug.......
  • Weeman1973
    Or you could pick up a bargain R5 (once you heal):

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12964681

Sorry, excuse the shameless plug.......

Looks great but I need a 51 cheers (only a little 'un at 5'6")