Is this a sensible way of getting a £5.3k bike for under £4k

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I was looking at bikes around the £3.5k mark but after much searching and test riding think I have found a bike I like but it costs a lot, lot more. It's a Bianchi Infinito CV but I don't really want any of the standard frame/groupset combinations in my price range and because buying and building a frame up is so much more expensive than a standard bike it doesn't make sense. I do however like the £5.3k DuraAce 11-speed non-electronicversion with SLK finishing kit and which comes with Vision Metron 40 wheels. The dealer will discount to £4750. I don't need £1500 aero wheels with attached £175 DuraAce casette so was thinking I could buy the bike and sell the new wheels and casette for say £1350. I could then buy some really good all round wheels like the Campag Eurus fitted with an 11-speed Campag Chorus casette which I think I can get for about £650. Forget about the madness of spending this much on a bike in the first place but does this seem a sensible way of getting the £5.3k down to £4k and still having a good machine?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Have you not just answered your own question?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Call Epic Cycles. They're good at removing/swapping parts for a discount.

Or you can just get the Ultegra version and save a bunch of cash...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Your figures won't look so good if you cannot shift the wheels & cassette for your expected price (which looks optimistic IMO)
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Once you get above a certain price (£3.5k to £4k), it gets cheaper to buy the bits and build it yourself.
    Bianchi Infinito frameset -£2300
    Dura-Ace groupset with Ultegra BB, cassette & chain - £850
    Seat post, saddle, stem & bars - £400 max
    Wheels - £500 ish
    Total about £4k without worrying about selling bits.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Way too much potential to get stung when trying to sell on the wheels and cassette - a problem you will have to finance until you sell them, plus of course the cost of the new wheels if you want to use the new bike right away (it's spring time, so the temptation would be huge to do so!).

The last poster's suggestion makes much more sense if you can't cut a deal with the retailer to have him swap over the wheels - worth asking.

A bit leftfield perhaps but if I had £4k to spend on a bike, I'd be sure to have a look here:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.h ... =&sort=new

Peter
  • Father Faff
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Once you get above a certain price (£3.5k to £4k), it gets cheaper to buy the bits and build it yourself.
    Wheels - £500 ish

Where can you get a 2014 Infinito CV frameset for £2300? I would be quite happy with Ultegra but I don't like the standard built white frame it comes with. I'm after the black/red or black/celeste frame!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Wheels - £500 ish

Where can you get a 2014 Infinito CV frameset for £2300? I would be quite happy with Ultegra but I don't like the standard built white frame it comes with. I'm after the black/red or black/celeste frame!

Ask around some Bianchi Dealers, Winstanleysbikes sell them.

I also recommend doing your own build.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You should be able to get a reasonable price for the parts, but the crucial thing is that they are completely unused, and by that I mean 100% unridden, not even the half mile home from the bike shop.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Here 2750 Euro is about £2300
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    You can completely customise your bike here: http://www.bianchistore.de/BianchiStore ... igurator_1
    frame colours, group sets, wheels etc..
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Whilst up to £2000 bikes are generally quite good value, £4000+ bikes generally are not.

It's doesn't take a maths whizz to quickly add up the cost of the components, and often the price of the bike simply doesn't make sense.

With a bit of careful shopping around, you can build up a fantastic bike for £4000 that would retail for over 6.
  • Father Faff
    I tend to agree I must have more money than sense but I'm going for it anyway. It keeps the LBS in business!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1