Back after 15 years off a bike.......help

15yrsoff
15yrsoff Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum so be gentle with me, I have decided to get back into mountain biking after 15yrs away.
Back in the 90's I was a very fit and healthy, extremely keen teenager who lived and breathed bikes and all that went with it, then things took over, car, travel work commitments etc etc...
I would go out most nights on longish rides on my road bike or mountain bike the skip around the next day with no problems. That won't be the case now.........

Real time... Now back to reality I am a 33 year old with a wife and family not a lot of time and 20st to lug around! So I'm going to get back into riding off road as that's what a couple of mates do, I have decided on a bike via a bike to work scheme and that's all good to go. My question is what is the best way to get back into riding and not killing myself in the process?

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers
1996 orange P7 (still in use)
2004 orange patriot Deaore

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just take it easy and build up gradually. When I restarted after a shoulder injury my fitness was very poor. Now a year later I can do fifty miles and am fit again.
  • 15yrsoff
    I'm sure i will have no choice but to take it easy lol.
    thanks for the reply
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi

I started mountain biking at 51 and it has been quite hard work but very enjoyable, I think set yourself little goals and be pleased with small improvements, I have only been at it just over 3 months lost a stone in weight and things are getting a little easier, I tend to go with my little lad and it makes all the work great fun and that's the main thing I think is make it fun.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's nothing else for it, listen to your body and don't over do it. You're still young, just go for a ride. It's not like running where you're genuinely likely to do yourself a mischief if you throw yourself into it from nothing.

Keep yourself fuelled and gradually build up the time, you'll be fine.
  • 15yrsoff
    Thanks guys, I have ordered my bike today so there is no going back now!
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    hey I'm in the same boat! near enough 15 years. good luck to you.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    15yrsoff wrote:
    Thanks guys, I have ordered my bike today so there is no going back now!

What did you go for ?