Coming back to moutain biking after 15yrs!

15yrsoff
15yrsoff Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum so be gentle with me, I have decided to get back into mountain biking after 15yrs away.
Back in the 90's I was a very fit and healthy, extremely keen teenager who lived and breathed bikes and all that went with it, then things took over, car, travel work commitments etc etc...
I would go out most nights on longish rides on my road bike or mountain bike the skip around the next day with no problems. That won't be the case now.........

Real time... Now back to reality I am a 33 year old with a wife and family not a lot of time and 20st to lug around! So I'm going to get back into riding off road as that's what a couple of mates do, I have decided on a bike via a bike to work scheme and that's all good to go. My question is what is the best way to get back into riding and not killing myself in the process?

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers
:?
1996 orange P7 (still in use)
2004 orange patriot Deaore

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I started again after a similar period off at 24st. Start small, ride further each time. Enjoy it.
  • 15yrsoff
    Thanks for the reply, how long you been back on a the bike?
  • mcnultycop
    4 years maybe. I'm still a big unit, but mainly because after shifting the first bit if weight cycling I started lifting weights so got some good weight back on! I'm cycling more now though; target 100kg.
  • 15yrsoff
    I'd like to get to 15 stone, that would be ideal really, i find that I need a goal I don't see the point in all the healthy eating if there is no goal.

So what bike you riding? what did you start out on?
  • mcnultycop
    Started on a Trek 4500, bought the Canyon, swapped out the Trek frame ( and everything else) onto the Scandal. I then bought a road bike at the end of last year.
  • 15yrsoff
    I have just sorted out the cycle scheme via work and I'm getting a cube attention 29 sl.
    Can't wait to pick it up. I'd like a a road bike a bit further down the line as I remember that as a great way to keep fitness up.
  • Canal towpaths are a good way to start , I started riding into work last year a few days a week
    after not riding for 10 years
  • G2t
    G2t Posts: 3
    Similar story for me, been out the saddle and the mtb loop for 10 yrs +, started back with a bit of road riding, on my old hardtail, then got a road bike, then did some light trail stuff, got the bug back and bought a full sus, a group of up to 6 of us go every weekend we possibly can now. Have dropped a couple of stone and now the evenings are lighter I`m looking to add in more road riding to up the fitness and weight loss.