Confused!

sabretalon
sabretalon Posts: 24
Yes it does not take a lot for me to be confused....

I was looking into solutions to get our son out with us when we go for a ride. He is 2.5 and we where considering child seat (rear) or trailer.

So I went into Halfords with my son (we were passing by). I saw they had a few seats and set up already on bikes. So I sit my son in them to find that the leg length was a lot shorter than I expected. If I sit him in the seat I have to lower the foot rests until they are like 1 rung from the bottom. So he would very soon outgrow it. This was the same on all the models there.

I asked about it and they said that all off the seats would be the same. They all have from 9 months to 22kg which on some sites state this is up to around 4-6 years old!

He is not that big, so would that mean that you should be removing the foot rests as they get bigger?

They said he was big and would soon be too big for a seat and would need a trailer.

Is this a ploy to sell a more expensive item?

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Get a trailer.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I'm with you here. Number 1 is 15 kilos so is on the weight limit for the front seat. The rear seat I bought off ebay has a 22kg limit and the legs are already at the lowest point. He is not 2 yet!

I think there is some 'tolerance' on weight limits, but size becomes an issue. A trailer would be a pain for me due to barriers on my local route. I'm thinking balance bike, tagalong, or a dutch style rear seat (something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMG-6-Child-B ... 4897.l4275 )

Edit - there is also a top tube seat available if you trust the child to hold on:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oxfo ... -prod83025
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    All the weight limits will be the same for any seat following EN14344.

Interesting point about the vertical leg room in the seats, I haven't heard much said about that before. Removing the footrests would all depends on how fidgety your son is I suppose as you would lose that support and 'restraint'.
  • Last thing I would want is a bored kid on the back deciding to push his feet towards the spokes or just start kicking me.

There must be some really small 4 year olds around if my 2.5 year old is already getting too big for one.

Measuring by weight then using the weight as an age guide is not the best way. Surely they should look at height or at least leg measurements, then set a weight limit. A minimum age limit I can understand, but as long as the child is under the height and weight limit, the upper age limit becomes irrelevant.

Borrowing a friends trailer this weekend, hope the little one enjoys it as the only other choice is for him to wait a while longer for me to stick him on a tag along.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    trailer is your friend - can fill it with toys to keep them occupied as well. Its also a good age to start them on the balance bike - they can ride surprisingly far!
    Insert bike here:
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    sabretalon wrote:
    Last thing I would want is a bored kid on the back deciding to push his feet towards the spokes or just start kicking me.

There must be some really small 4 year olds around if my 2.5 year old is already getting too big for one.

Measuring by weight then using the weight as an age guide is not the best way. Surely they should look at height or at least leg measurements, then set a weight limit. A minimum age limit I can understand, but as long as the child is under the height and weight limit, the upper age limit becomes irrelevant.

Borrowing a friends trailer this weekend, hope the little one enjoys it as the only other choice is for him to wait a while longer for me to stick him on a tag along.

Age guides are difficult for the top end, that's why most use the weight limit. That's a definitive measurement limit that doesn't differ per child.

For a child of 2.5 to be long enough in the leg to have already used all the footrest adjustment then you must have a fairly tall boy, or he's all leg!

It is a fact about child seats though, at some point the child will completely outgrow it. Out of interest do you know which seats you tried in Halfords? I know they have some pretty basic offerings in smaller stores.
  • We tried the Hamax ones, several of them that they had in, the topeak babysitter as we had ordered it in for collection so we could try first. It was one of their bigger stores that does tend to hold quite a bit of stock.

He has is very first bike as a wide wheeled motorbike, think balance bike but wider wheels. He also now has his balance bike. Both of which get well abused. We just wanted something so we can actually all ride without worrying about him deciding it is a good idea to chase the dog.

Whilst he is a decent size he is by no means large for his age. Not comfortable yet with the idea of sticking him on the back with a tagalong.

The guide being in ages is the issue as I stated, the age is irrelevant. Weight is one but there is also the leg length as well, which could be used.