Help with Garmin 500 and cadence

jasondxb
jasondxb Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I cant get the cadence to read on my Garmin 500, on the screen I can see a crank and pedals on the top of the screen

Whilst riding the cadendce field is just blank, its only worked once in 10 rides

I have replaced the battery, tried to reset it by pressing the small white button , then turning the crank but I only get a red light

I have one of those small magnets in the back of the pedal

Any ideas

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Is this a new unit?
    or is it a new fault on a functional unit?
    Have you had it working but changed the magnet?
    Is the magnet correctly lined up and close enough to the sensor?

There's a light on the GSC10 unit that flashes when it detects the magnet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    have you tried pairing the cadence sensor from the Garmin??

On the 800 it is [menu], [tools (spanner icon)], [bike settings], [bike profiles], click on your bike, [ant+ speed/cadence], [search]
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    The small magnets you buy off ebay to fit into the back of the pedal are as much use as a chocolate fireguard - I bought one and found out - they are not strong enough to trigger the unit and you can't get them close enough to work. You need to use the decent strength magnet that came with the G500, or buy another small neodymium magnet that has a bit more beef to it.
  • jasondxb
    Thanks for the advice

I have replaced the Garmin magnet, and it did work with the one from Ebay, all be it once

It mst be picking up some signal because when I try and sync it, I can rotate the pedals and the red light flashes on the unit, but it never flashes green

Ill try the Garmin magnet again and see if that works
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    isnt the red for the cadence and the green for the speed (spoke magnet)?
    Did u try pressing the reset button on the sensor as well?
    My money's still on the weak pedal magnet...
  • The speed sensor has gone on a couple of these for me but never the cadence - best way to test if its unit of magnet is just to touch the unit with the magnet over cadence bit and speed bit when in reset mode if both are working you get red and green flash - if one of those doesn't light up the sensor is bust. If its less than a year old Garmin will replace under warranty.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    On my road by bike the sensor on the pedal had to be stuck in place then cable tied due to it slipping also the gs unit has to be adjusted so the swing arm is extremely close to the wheel magnet.
  • jasondxb
    *******Update*********

Fixed the issue and now everything is working

It was a user issue and not machine

In the pairing mode you need to select cadence and speed sensor

As I was not using the speed sensor magnet I only had the cadence box ticked