KevChallis Posts: 646
    Yup :/ rubbish!! I'm 5'9" and I was on a Medium (54) last year
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    KevChallis wrote:
    As far as I am aware yes, the defy frame is the same right up to the defy 0, what size so you need out of interest?

I'm pretty sure the Defy 0 and 1 frames are made from Aluxx SL grade aluminium. The others are made from Aluxx grade aluminium, AFAIK the actual geometry is identical though.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I like the Mekk poggio best
  • Hi moonbiker. Have you tried the poggio?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    No just liked the look & the spec of its frame for the price compared to the others.

Also geometry is suppose to be more "racy" :o
  • Update! Went into a few local bike shops yesterday, tried a giant defy; nice bike but found the position a bit upright, then tried a specialized allez sport which they had on offer for £600 (2013 model) and really liked the feel of it. Spoke with the guys in there about the mekks/ribbles and they warned me off them (specifically mentioned the ribble and Planet X but not the mekk) but in general they said they are cheap Chinese carbon framed and they won't last and to stay well clear. Is this true? Am I best off going to with specialized allez sport or should I still be considering the mekk poggio and the Planet X rt58 alloy?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    What a surprise, local bike shop says bikes which offer better value than theirs are rubbish and dissolve in water...!

Most frames come from China - Giant and Specialized do, I think - probably all from the same factory. If what they said was true then you would see people shouting it all over these forums - people are very quick to find an online forum to moan about something that let them down. You do have to consider that Planet-X probably dont put so much effort into Customer Service if there is a problem but I get the impression that Ribble are very good to deal with and see people loving their bikes all over the web.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Also, did the shop offer to adjust the setup on the Defy? If its too upright you can almost certainly move the stem down, swapping it with the spacers which are probably underneath it, and the stem is usually at an angle to the fork steerer, so can be made lower by flipping it over. Sounds like they just steered you onto the Specialized rather than make some simple effort... You possibly got the 'weekend staff'.
  • I tried the giants and specialized in different shops, spoke to the owners in both. He fitted the giant on me and it was fine I just found it a little hunched with the short frame and preferred the fit of the allez.

Is the alley sport a good deal at 600 or am I still better off with the mekk at 675?
  • KevChallis
    Lol!!! Funny, this is why I bought a defy 3 from them last year, on there advice, from one of the shops you are talking about here, they are talking cr@p, and most of them in one of them don't know an awful lot about road bikes.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Talking crap about the frames Kev? I didn't go to the shop you are thinking of mind. What would you go for if u were me?
  • KevChallis
    What ever takes your heart the most :) at the end if the day, you keep coming back to the Mekk, I would get that. Don't believe everything the shops tell you, they just want your money :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    menthel wrote:
    Don't worry about the things you can upgrade- concentrate on a good frame and go from there. I also wouldn't get too het up about a bike having current generation sora- its fine. It has the same STI shifting method as the higher spec sets and is robust. Personally I would go for the first bike you suggest or the defy. The wheels, groupset etc can all be upgraded at a later date.

I have a Sora bike, a mix of Tiagra and an Ultegra.... And there is a huge difference. Sora is just clunky, and doesn't always shift one gear at a time. If you can afford it, get 105... It had a premium feel to it.
  • J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    I have a XL PlanetX pro carbon, sram Rival, RS10s, new tyres, new chain and cassette, aero bars and some ritchey bits in really nice condition that will be going in the classifieds when I get round to it £550
  • KevChallis
    antsmithmk wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Don't worry about the things you can upgrade- concentrate on a good frame and go from there. I also wouldn't get too het up about a bike having current generation sora- its fine. It has the same STI shifting method as the higher spec sets and is robust. Personally I would go for the first bike you suggest or the defy. The wheels, groupset etc can all be upgraded at a later date.

I have a Sora bike, a mix of Tiagra and an Ultegra.... And there is a huge difference. Sora is just clunky, and doesn't always shift one gear at a time. If you can afford it, get 105... It had a premium feel to it.

Yeah it maybe clunky, but shifting more than one gear at a time I never had a problem with. It was a perfect shift every time. I would look at the set up on your rear mech about this, as normally that's what it is ;)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    antsmithmk wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Mine works quite happily on my commuter bike. Its a little clunky but does the job. And because it does the job then you are best off making sure you get the best frame (as it is the core that the rest hangs off) as the rest can be upgraded. My veloce bike shifts more smoothly (probably 105 equivalent) but both do the job of changing gears!

And if your sora equipped bike isn't shifting properly then there is something wrong with the setup, not sora kit in general!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Quick update! After much deliberation and trying different bikes I went a bit out of left field and opted for a cube peloton pro which I got on offer from Pauls Cycles for £699. I'd been to have a try in the local dealer and was really impressed. Had it a couple of weeks now, done a couple of hundred miles on it and really love it.

After seeing the Mekks in the flesh I thought they looked a bit cheap and nasty, same with the Planet X alloy (the carbons look amazing though) and you seem to get a bit more for your money with the cubes than say a specialized or giant.