Should I sell an unejoyable bike?

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
I've got an On-One Pompetamine Alfine (Versa drop-bar shifters) 11 speed with BB7s.

It's..... fine. But I don't enjoy riding it. It's slow, not massively comfortable (compared to other steel frames), and by gawd there's a lot of weight at the back end. It's never felt any better than my Roadrat with 8-speed Alfine.

It does everything I need it to do, like take discs, guards, and a rack, so it's perfectly practical, but it's not one of those bikes that spurs you on to extend your commute, even downhill where it's at its best.

So... do I spend a bit of money trying to improve it (the wheels are one area where I could make a massive difference, but.... Alfine rear), or do I sell it, moth-ball it.... what?

Of course, what I really want is the Cotic Escapade, obviously.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    sell it, buy the one you want. I did the same with a Allez, which in theory was a good bike, but it just didn't stir my soul.
    Insert bike here:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't especially enjoy riding my CX - nothing wrong with it - but it is heavy, especially with the big winter tyres, mudguards and rack - I'm not going to sell it though because whilst I'd rather ride my Allez or carbon bike, it's a good winter/wet weather bike.
    I've started to commute on my Allez again though - but that's because I'm getting used to aero bars (fitted to the Allez) for TT events - but I jump on the CX for easy rides/commutes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Every bike should have its purpose - and if it doesn't fulfill that purpose, sell it and buy a bike that does.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You've already made your decision and you've come online to verify it, that's cool. Sell it! Life's too short to ride a bike your don't like.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    of course. cycling is to be enjoyed. sell it and get what you want. if you upgrade it will still be nagging away at you that its not what you want...
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Keep it and endure it and you may grow to love it, like you would with an ugly child or a cat that obviously hates you.
  • davis
    Cool, decision made. Thanks chaps (apart from the one dissenter). I'll flog it and build another.

N-1+1
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    davis wrote:
    N-1+1
    N-1+1=N
    You need to buy two bikes if you sell one.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Just to be clear, are you saying the 11-sp is worse than the 8-sp Alfine?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • davis
    Just to be clear, are you saying the 11-sp is worse than the 8-sp Alfine?

I like it less, certainly. Maybe it's because of the Versa shifters, or maybe it's the way I use it. The 11 speed is on the commuter, and it's a bit of a drag riding it every day trying to actually get somewhere. The 8 speed is on a posh pub bike, and for pootling in the park, where I don't really care about speed.
  • Ok, that makes sense. I have a Pompetamine with Alfine 8-sp and flat bars. I think it's a hoot to ride, and the more relaxed the ride is the better it is. Capable of covering big distance but not in a hurry.
    I skipped getting the drop-bar after hearing bad things about the Versa shifters.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    As long as the reason you don't like it is the weight due to the commuting equipment
    Because a replacement would have to have that too

Summer is coming though
    It's possible (sometimes) in summer to commute on a racing bike with no guards, no luggage, the fastest tyres you can find on discount - glorious speed
  • Keep it and endure it and you may grow to love it, like you would with an ugly child or a cat that obviously hates you.

this happened to me. and now i do genuinely love it.

the bike that is.