Garryboy
Garryboy Posts: 344
edited April 2014 in Road general
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26848603

Surely this guy should get done?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yep - several traffic offences in that vid. The guy's riding is utterly incompetent.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Sorry but the guys an idiot. Endangered everyone there should be locked up
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    The piece just seemed a bit too light hearted and also calls out the road for being dangerous! It's the Muppet on the speeding motorbike that's the danger!

Maybe I'm a bit over sensitive when comparing it to cycling related incidents!
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Is this the same bloke who crashed his Lambo in central London the other day...?

The skill level seems similar. :roll:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So - come on the CtC - lay it on the line ...

Will the Police look at this and give the lad a stern talking to
    Will the Police look at this and give the lad a stern talking to and a fine/points
    Will the Police look at this and take the lad to court
    Will the Police look at this and believe the lad has learnt his lesson

?
  • Colinthecop
    I doubt the Police will do much in all honesty.

Has anyone made a complaint that his driving was dangerous...? Has any witnesses come forward...?

The evidence seems to come from his own recording. Can it be proved where and when it was taken, can it be proved which bike he was on, can it be proved the footage has not been doctored in any way and its integrity could withstand Court scrutiny...?

I appreciate these things could be found out but is it in the public interest to pursue it...? Hes actually using the footage to warn others bikers, like him, whose bikes outweigh their own skill level.

So no, I doubt the Police will do much. Unless some senior officer starts listening to Daily Mail readers screaming about how he's a menace on the road and how he could have killed a family on their way to bible class.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,502
    The CPS will probably view this ( rightly or wrongly) as the individual has suffered enough and there would be no public interest in pursuing this guy through the courts.

Given the potential this had for going wrong I am surprised by the tone of the article. Clearly the guy was riding well beyond his limits and he had a very lucky outcome for the driver of the oncoming vehicle and himself.

Twenty years ago when I worked in a factory the words that would come to mind would be along the lines of "idiot" or words to that effect. Now its " this person needs more training".
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • imposter2.0
    The evidence seems to come from his own recording. Can it be proved where and when it was taken, can it be proved which bike he was on, can it be proved the footage has not been doctored in any way and its integrity could withstand Court scrutiny...?

That doesn't stop the police from prosecuting bikers who post their '150mph down the local bypass' vids on YT though, does it..?
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    what a tool....
    he will die very soon if he carries on like that, just pray he doesn't take someone else with him.
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • Colinthecop
    Imposter wrote:
    That doesn't stop some police from prosecuting bikers who post their '150mph down the local bypass' vids on YT though, does it..?

Fixed it for you.

All forces have different guidlines and as I said, it goes on what sort of publicity and public reaction it invokes.
  • slowbike
    I doubt the Police will do much in all honesty.

Has anyone made a complaint that his driving was dangerous...? Has any witnesses come forward...?

I appreciate these things could be found out but is it in the public interest to pursue it...? Hes actually using the footage to warn others bikers, like him, whose bikes outweigh their own skill level.

So no, I doubt the Police will do much. Unless some senior officer starts listening to Daily Mail readers screaming about how he's a menace on the road and how he could have killed a family on their way to bible class.

Well - the video may well have a date stamp on the file - but that could be doctored. I would guess that the bike was recovered by a professional recovery team - that would be documented evidence that ties in with the video footage.
    In the BBC report the rider commentates on how he should've stayed on the white line before the bend - so in my mind that is instruction to others on how to get around the bend rather than telling them to slow down..

It will be interesting to see what actions the Police take with the publicity around this one - perhaps they'll want to be seen to do something and give the lad some sort of punishment - even if it's just fine/points (don't know if they can do that without being there at the time tbh?)

Is it in the public interest to punish errant motorbike riders who enjoy breaking the (arbitrary) speed limit? No more so than it is anywhere else. Perhaps by not taking any action they're suggesting that ppl can break the speed limit and their only punishment will be the outcome of any accident they find themselves in.

Unfortunately, the Daily Wail readers complaining that he could've killed a family on their way to bible class are correct - with that lack of skill and attention he could've done - but we all should know you can't prosecute on possibilities ...
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    That doesn't stop some police from prosecuting bikers who post their '150mph down the local bypass' vids on YT though, does it..?

Fixed it for you.

All forces have different guidlines and as I said, it goes on what sort of publicity and public reaction it invokes.

Well, maybe 'some' police will throw the book at this tool as well....
  • slowbike
    Imposter wrote:

Fixed it for you.

So it's a bit of postcode lottery then ... perhaps we should have a list of the areas where you'd get ignored, where you'd get a slap on the wrists and where your sorry arse would be dragged through the courts ... then we'd know where to break the law ;)
  • Speckled
    Speckled Posts: 97
    Idiot yes, but he's young and hopefully he HAS learnt from this.

Looking back i did some dangerous driving in my early 20's, thought i was clever at the time but with age you realise this wasnt the case.

Luckily no harm done and its a good warning to others...
  • slowmart
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24717857

The road is notorious for accidents. Until recently I used to ride motorbikes and while there are some great biking roads the cat and fiddle never appealed due to the magnet effect it has on ar5eholes whose ambition exceeds their talent for riding and the heavy police presence and high car usage.

The guy over took at speed on double white lines which is an offence. The only time it is acceptable is if your overtaking slow moving traffic ( I believe 10mph ) and it is safe to overtake.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    Slowbike wrote:
    So - come on the CtC - lay it on the line ...

Will the Police look at this and give the lad a stern talking to
    Will the Police look at this and give the lad a stern talking to and a fine/points
    Will the Police look at this and take the lad to court
    Will the Police look at this and believe the lad has learnt his lesson

?

or the more likely fifth option.
    Will the police look at this and not give a fook.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    "Jack Sanderson from Cheshire crashed on the A537 Cat and Fiddle road, in Cheshire, after his motorbike crossed the white line and he swerved to avoid an oncoming car."

that makes it sound like it was nothing to do with him, like his motorbike did it all by itself.

He overtook on a double white line and then went on to the wrong side of the road as a car was coming yet its somehow the dangerous road that is to blame?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Quite so, it wasn't even that sharp a bend, he was going too fast for the corner, quite simply. 100% the fault of the rider and you can't blame the road or anything else. At minimum I think he should be forced to reset his bike test.
  • slowbike
    Quite so, it wasn't even that sharp a bend, he was going too fast for the corner, quite simply. 100% the fault of the rider and you can't blame the road or anything else. At minimum I think he should be forced to reset his bike test.
    He might need a new bike first ... ;)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Slowbike wrote:

MTB? :)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Chris Bass wrote:
    "Jack Sanderson from Cheshire crashed on the A537 Cat and Fiddle road, in Cheshire, after his motorbike crossed the white line and he swerved to avoid an oncoming car."

that makes it sound like it was nothing to do with him, like his motorbike did it all by itself.

He overtook on a double white line and then went on to the wrong side of the road as a car was coming yet its somehow the dangerous road that is to blame?

It doesn't look the safest of all roads but it seems to be signed appropriately to indicate the risks ahead.
    When I see double white lines, SLOW markings on the road and "turn chevrons", I don't accelerate and overtake.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

MTB? :)

nah - he's not strong enough for that - he obviously needs a motor - how about an electric assist bike ? ;)
  • slowbike
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

It doesn't look the safest of all roads but it seems to be signed appropriately to indicate the risks ahead.
    When I see double white lines, SLOW markings on the road and "turn chevrons", I don't accelerate and overtake.

Hmm ... should you really be travelling at a speed where you couldn't stop within the area you can see? Roads aren't dangerous - it's the people on them that are dangerous. Again, the general progression to more efficient braking, higher performance motors and "the best ever" safety gear lead ppl to do things that are more dangerous than previously attempted.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    An unfortunate case of 'Natural Selection' not working properly.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • slowmart
    MattC59 wrote:
    An unfortunate case of 'Natural Selection' not working properly.

Darwin didn't accrue for luck though.

There is no such thing as a bad bend or piece of road. Who accelerates into a hazard? There were so many things wrong with this guys riding its easy to question two aspects,the decision making ability, or lack of and the riders ability to ride safe and smooth.

Desmond Tutu
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I can't listen to the sound on the video at work, is this being spun as the drivers fault or are they reporting that it was all down to the roads?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    The weather clear, the road surface dry. Perfect conditions for safe riding but Jack Sanderson took a chance.

The rider then explains that he should've stayed on the white line and that he took the corner far to wide. The presenter then states that it's one of the most dangerous roads in Europe.

2002 - 50mph speed limit
    2010/11 - average speed cameras introduced

The old motorbiker blamed "inexperience" for the accident

The rider then says he's learnt his lesson - but police are looking into it.

At no point was the rider criticised for speeding, crossing the double white line, nor did he public apologise to the motorist he probably would've wiped out - for me that's what's missing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    He's a fool. He went into the corner way too fast and with a bad line, then he shut the throttle and ran wide, then he saw the car and had to go wider or hit it head on so he baled. I can't remember the physics behind it but shutting the throttle, or braking, on a motorbike in a corner causes it to pick up and run wide. A talented rider could have got round at that speed, but it's way too fast on a public road and he should be prosecuted.