Genesis Vapour 2010 headset

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I am looking to replace the headset for my Vapour (2010). Its become very loose (If I hold the front brake, there is alot of play in the headset now).

I am not sure which one to get - don't fancy a trip to Evans and pay the over prices service fee! I can replace them, just need to know which one to buy.

I am looking for something that is cheap and cheerful. This is only used for commuting duties.

Thanks

Comments

• JimboPlob
    Anyone?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    M part or Token are good IME and normally £10-15 from most retailers.

Have you tried checking the bung assembly to make sure there's some pre-load/compression? IME when a headset (cartrides/bearings) goes it normally clicks and feels notchy rather than feeling loose.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    as above, are you sure it's not simply that the stem has slipped a bit?

first try adjusting the preload, then unless it feels rough/notchy, just give it a regrease, especially the lower race as the bearings are not well sealed

it's an fsa intellaset, i'll try and check later which one i used, or you can just replace the bearings

if you do need to replace it, the crown race is part of the set, it can be a bit fiddly to change without the correct tools, so research the process so that you are clear about it before taking things apart
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    this is the one i used...

FSA Intellaset No28 Headset

see page 60 of this for the spec...

http://www.vanbokhoven.de/downloads/anl ... e_2010.pdf
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • JimboPlob
    AH

I was rather hoping that I could just use the current crown race...

I will check the preload, but my understanding was that with the stem bolts loose, the bolt which goes into the star nut should just be just tight enough (similar to a pinch bolt on the cranks..). I have checked it before and have had to tighten it more than I would like...

I think I would have to really clamp it down to stop the play... The headset has certainly seen a few miles!!!

Thanks
  • JimboPlob
    sungod wrote:
    this is the one i used...

FSA Intellaset No28 Headset

see page 60 of this for the spec...

http://www.vanbokhoven.de/downloads/anl ... e_2010.pdf

Where did you manage to get hold of one? Are there any "equivalents" ?

Thanks