Novice Communter - Bike Malfunction

sharonskipsey
sharonskipsey Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in The workshop
Nightmare this morning.

Please forgive my complete ignorance when it comes to the name of parts on my bike, I really havent got a clue, although learning as I go along.
This morning, my chain kept going slack and the back derailleur (thinks its called that) came forward. It appeared to do this when I was free wheeling, if I kept pedalling it was ok.
Anyone got any thoughts?
Thanks in advance, Sharon :?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like your freewheel* is a bit stiff. That's the bit in the back hub that means you can stop pedalling by allowing the gears at the back (cassette) to spin backwards.

The tension on the chain when you freewheel is being pulled through the rear mech. in a way it's not designed for, so it pings forwards. Were you to remove your back wheel I'd expect the cassette to be quite hard to spin by hand anti-clockwise.

What can you do about it? A bit of oil or grease will probably solve it, depends on the wheel and what tools you have. Freewheels* are generally sealed against the weather so you need to dismantle it to get at the mechanism. You may need to pop it into your LBS where a service might be £15 or so but they may try to flog you a whole back wheel.

Of course, I may be wrong ...

*Pedants - this also covers freehubs
  • Thanks for your response.
    Got home last night and gave the chain and gears a good clean, tooth brush and degreaser! The little wheel that come down of the back gears "jockey wheel" was thick with mud and grease. It seemed alot better the morning, although was cycling into the wind, so didnt free wheel as much as I normally do.

Going to take it to my LBS next week, start a new job week after and daily commute is tripling, so need to make sure it working well..

thanks
    Sharon :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    most of the maintenance on bikes is just cleaning.

I tend to use a small flat bladed screwdriver to help keep the jockeywheels clean - you can use it to scrape the muck off whilst back pedalling.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself calling yourself a com munter!!!