Chain Stretch ?

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am getting a slightly lurching/slipping sensation whilst riding at the moment every now and then. I suspect it is chain stretch but my LBS said it was ok (although another said the opposite a few weeks before hand.)

Is it time to replace my chain and cassette ? Or is something else the culprit ?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Chain stretch can be measured - I'd suggest you start there.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    It sounds like your chain is stretched but without looking it's hard for anyone to say for sure. As chunkers says, chains can be measured. Take a look at Seldon Brown on the link.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Get a chain checking tool, inexpensive and saves a new cassette and rings
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To clarify, chains don't stretch as such, the joins wear and the accumulated 'slop' means they end up being longer than they should.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Are you Mr Logic from Viz?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope he's just an annoying, pedantic know it all.

Annoyingly though, he is quite correct.

And annoying.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Not really. They don't end up being longer end to end. They are measured 'longer' with a chain checker due to the slop in the rollers and pins, not the outer plates getting longer through stretch.
  • cooldad
    They do end up a bit longer. The wear is inside the rollers, so each pin is fractionally further along than before.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    More than fractional - hold worn and new side by side, there's a big difference on the whole length.
    Not really. They don't end up being longer end to end. They are measured 'longer' with a chain checker due to the slop in the rollers and pins, not the outer plates getting longer through stretch.

That's exactly what the Rookie said, but as per CD they do get phyiscally longer under their own weight, but you're right it's not plastic deformation of the side plates.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    More than fractional - hold worn and new side by side, there's a big difference on the whole length.
    Each link is fractionally longer - over a hundred odd the cumulative difference is significant.

Bloody pedantic pedants.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Chains stretch, they get longer. Chain component parts do not stretch, they wear.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Blooming heck drlodge - that's concise and exactly to the point.

One thing to add - they only get longer when under tension or gravity (dangling). Under compression or pushed together on a table say, they'd actually be shorter.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Take your chain and starting from a pinhole, measure off 12 inches of the chain. The 12 inches should hit the 12th link’s first pinhole, If it goes over by 1/16” past the mark, you’ve got to buy a new chain. If it is 1/8” past the mark, you will need to buy a new chain & cassette.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    One thing to add - they only get longer when under tension or gravity (dangling). Under compression or pushed together on a table say, they'd actually be shorter.

Or if put in its side and curved, it will be more curved :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava