Gears on a Kona Unit?

mickjh56
mickjh56 Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hello...

I'm looking for a 'basic' steel 29er MTB. When I say basic I actually mean uncomplicated and sub £800.

I won't be climbing mountains, but am likely to do limited off-roading - canal towpaths, country parks and easy tracks.

I don't want suspension, I just can't get on with it, and I'd like something rugged. I rather like the Genesis Fortitude, but they aren't available new any more - and would be too expensive even if they were.

I see that Wiggle are flogging last year's model Kona Unit at a good discount and I like the look of it - if only it had gears! An Alfine 8 would do although the 11 would be better. Wiggle won't fit that for me, so I guess I could buy the bits and get my LBS to replace the hub for me as it's way beyond my limited capabilities.

Or...

I could go for a complete bike with a similar spec. off the shelf.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inbred 29er with rigid forks instead, you may have to ask for a price
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOIN29SRX ... ntain-bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mickjh56
    mickjh56 Posts: 8
    Thanks a lot, well worth looking into.

I'll continue to search the 'newby' sections and buying guide threads too. Hopefully something will turn up.