2nd ride, loose spokes and buckled wheel

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I bought a boardman road comp at the weekend that comes with Mavic CXP-22 wheels. On checking it over I noticed that the rear wheel was buckled and several loose spokes. It's back in halfords and I am getting it back tonight.

I had this serval times on a mountain bike last year and swapping the wheel fixed it.

I am a heavy rider, the guy in halfords blamed pot holes, could this be the case?

Comments

• will simply tightening and trueing sort it out or will i see it again due to it being weakened un some way?
  • The wheel wasn't built properly, as long as the spokes were not damaged and its correctly re-tensioned and trued then you could get good use out of it. That depends though on how heavy are you though and how many spokes does the wheel have? If you are heavy ad hard rider then it may be you need 36 spoke handbuilts for any durability. I did.

Also, sad to say it, but IME the chances of any branch of Halfords employing a decent wheel builder are very remote - sorry :cry:
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    its good they took it back and are fixing it for you. these things can and do happen. make sure you give it a good once over before you go back out on it. check it seems ok, no loose spokes and see that it spins nicely. i'm a big fella and do get the odd broken spoke. i've ridden 16 spoke rear wheels at nearly 20 stone and been ok (somehow) but i would recommend a larger count going forward if you have the choice.
    yes it is sad to say i have had previous issues at halfords too. they dont employ the best mechanics but you do get the odd one who knows what they are doing.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I feel a bit sorry for the potholes, that get the blame for a bad building job... the potholes have nothing to do with your spokes becoming loose.
    Unfortunately bikes are assembled to meet a price point and whilst St. Shimano guarantees you get some decent components even at a budget, that's not the case for wheels unfortunately
    left the forum March 2023
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    I have had nightmares with Mavic wheels and spokes and won't get them again.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    You can get some threadlock to drop onto the spoke/nipple join which may help prevent them coming loose from further knocks and vibrations, but as above a properly assembled wheel would not have done this. Luckily I have not had any issues like this (so far) with my entry-level Mavic or Fulcrum wheels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    rpherts wrote:
    I have had nightmares with Mavic wheels and spokes and won't get them again.

OP's problem isn't to do with Mavic, they only make the rim, but likely Merida who assemble Boardman bikes in Taiwan
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks all, tbf they sorted it for free. I have warmed them up to the fact that if it happens again I want a new wheel and they agreed. 105 hub too on the replacement all under warranty.
  • Thanks all, tbf they sorted it for free. I have warmed them up to the fact that if it happens again I want a new wheel and they agreed. 105 hub too on the replacement all under warranty.

Fingers crossed it's a good rebuild - might be worth getting the tensions checked if you know anyone who has a tensiometer
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I had the same problem with my first boardman team carbon. Halfords replaced the bike because the buckled wheel caused by the loose spoke damaged the rear detailer which threw me off the bike.
    The replacement bike has been faultless and the wheels are still true and no issues since with the spokes or wheels.