HELP !!!! Advice

willimp12
willimp12 Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,
what would you recommend?

I'm looking for my first road bike EVER. I went to my local bike shop and they showed me those two bikes. I'm looking for a good road bike for races, casual riding and eventually triathlon:

Argon 18 Krypton 2013 all 105 for 1900$ (Carbon)

Cannondale Caad 10 3 ultegra 1900$ (aluminium)

I went online and found 2 used bikes which are:

The Cervelo S1 2009 (Ultegra, less than 1000km or 700 miles) 1700$

Trek Madone 5.2 2011 (ultegra, new tyres Continental Grand Prix 4000 and Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset) 8000km or 5000 miles 1800$

What would be the best option

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• The one that fits you best.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    if you have a good LBS you could use them to help you make the right choice in sizing and you'll probably get a free 6 week service and maybe a deal on a 6 month one too. they may even let you test ride and help you choose the right one.
    buying pre loved bikes can save you a lot of money but you may have to compromise. do you know what you are looking for on 2nd hand bikes? what to look for? when is a ding/dent, paint chip settign off alarm bells. is it stolen, is it the right size.
    so many questions to ask but in my opinion if you are new, use your local shop, build a relationship with them and they will help you for years to come.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    buying online may get you a good bargain but if you've not ha d abroad bike before the chances are its not going to be the right size for you. A £300 bike that fits you properly is a far better ride than a £1000 bike you got for half price thats too small or too big for you.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Wow, those are some expensive first bike options!
    You probably don't know enough about what you'll want to do yet- be it long epics, racing or quick Sunday morning spins, so I'd go for a cheaper option (<$1000) to try out as a first time machine.

If you do get serious you can keep it as your training/ winter bike to save wearing out a more expensive steed in a few years time, and you'll be able to aim for a style that suits. A cheap bike does not necessarily make for a bad bike- my first (and only) road bike is a humble Trek 1.1 but it can take anything I throw at it and still cope well, be it century rides, races or TTs.

Definitely have a few test rides, and get one that fits nicely- if your local shop does good bike fitting, all the better. A bike that is a good fit is more important for enjoyment and performance than anything else!