Opinions re Elite Qubo vs Elite Muin (& myEtraining app)

Retro1702
Retro1702 Posts: 135
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
To accompany my own current abject physical condition my existing turbo has also now decided to go and die on me as well.

I've always fared reasonably well with Elite turbos and so have been looking at what is currently on offer up to £400 & I'm looking for opinions from here on the Qubo wireless turbo versus the Muin (their equivalent of the Lemond Revolution)

Read some good reviews too about the myEtraining app (mainly on DC Rainmaker site), although a number of other reviews have stated it can be hard to get the app to link to an ANT+ key.

I would ideally like to go with the Muin as I think that cassette/chain driven turbos are the way forward, although as I understand it from research do far there's no selectable resistance (unless you've figured out how to programme the app to interact with the trainer), hence why the Qubo has cropped up as a possible.

I'd say I do a good 60-70% of my winter base training on my turbo as well as still usually 2 good quality indoor sessions a week through the season and so I need something reliable that will give me at least some of comparable power data (not bothered if it's 100% accurate to a £3k SRM as I will be the only one riding it, so as much as I'd like to I won't be buying a £100 turbo & a second hand PM)

Over to you for thoughts/advice/reviews etc

Comments

• I had an Elite Qubo Digital wireless as my winter trainer. When it worked it worked fine, i even plugged it into a Wahoo key on the iPad and rode the courses on googlemaps. It works well.

But, within 5 months the motor started to grind in the middle part of the gear range. At first i thought it might just be me, but it slowly got worse and eventually it was grinding and making a dreadful sound so i stopped. I sent the motor unit back to Chain Reaction who contacted Elite and they dealt with it (got to say that Chain Reaction were great at sorting it out) and after 6 weeks i had a new motor sent to me.
    This worked fine, but i found the Watt output to be way off on the computer, which didnt really bother me if im honest, but within 3 months this motor gave up as well! when i Googled it i found some people had similar problems with the Qubo and the motor or power readings. It seemed a bit unreliable.
    I was a bit gutted because as i say, when it worked it worked well and maybe i was just unlucky and had motors from a dodgy batch, who knows. But i couldnt keep getting on it and wondering if i had to stop after ten minutes, it was stalling my training, so in the end i binned it and just bought a basic Minoura with bar mounted resistance.
  • If you decide to go down the Qubo route, I've got a nearly new one I'm about to sell. All receipts etc. Nice piece of kit, but for various reasons it's not entirely suitable for my specific needs.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    My Qubo motor failed after only light use. Replaced under warranty but doesn't inspire confidence when you read the issues above.