Getting a new bike

Munch101
Munch101 Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello friends!

I'm getting a new Road bike with the summer coming up and with plans to enter ametuer triathlons :roll:

I am just after some advice, I have a friend that works at Halfords and can get the new Boardman Road Comp for discounted price on my cycle2work. I was just wondering what you guys think of the bike as I am new to Road bikes and can't find any decent reviews on it yet!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710
Thanks a lot!

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    You probably won't go too far wrong with that machine- Boardmans are well known for their reasonable specs, and the Sora groupset is pretty good now (they've skimped on the brake calipers, but then who doesn't?). It certainly won't be an instrument of torture and will probably serve you well for years to come, and can probably hold it's own in races (if my Trek 1.1 can cut it- the Boardman certainly can!).

However, at your price point you have lots of similarly specced bikes to choose from. The Specialized Allez sport comes to mind as a budget racer with a frame that is worthy of upgrading over time. Have a look around and have a test ride of several different bikes to see which one you feel fits you best- the actual frames themselves will probably be very similar in terms of performance, but it's worth finding one that feels comfortable, and it's worth finding a local bike shop with staff that know what they are doing when it comes to frame sizes and fitting- you'll enjoy your bike so much more if it fits properly!

And most importantly, have fun!
  • Munch101
    Well as I can only get a Halfords bike because of Cycle2Work I guess this is quite a good one to get!
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    Munch101 wrote:
    Well as I can only get a Halfords bike because of Cycle2Work I guess this is quite a good one to get!

You aren't limited to the bikes halfords stock in store. If you phone up the halfords cycle2work number and tell them what you want they can check to see if they can source it and will deliver it to your local halfords.
  • Munch101
    To get Staff discount I have to mate :(