ui2 maintenance

phillips1965
phillips1965 Posts: 67
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi. I have recently moved over from mechanical to electronic and was wandering if the pivot points still require greasing, if so would it be a special designated grease?

Cheers

Comments

• I just spray mine with a dry lube with ptfe, havent had any problems to date (well over a year)
  • Cheers Essex Rouleur. Just slightly apprehensive about getting moisture into the unit even though it claims to be waterproof.
  • No problem.

If you ever want to upgrade the rear mech to accept a bigger cassette (like a 11-32) i know how to do that too :D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hi. I have recently moved over from mechanical to electronic and was wandering if the pivot points still require greasing, if so would it be a special designated grease?

Yes, the slippery kind.
  • dennisn
    Cheers Essex Rouleur. Just slightly apprehensive about getting moisture into the unit even though it claims to be waterproof.

I don't follow how one would think that moisture would get into the "unit". Cars, motorcycles, etc. have been running with much, much more complicated electronics than any bicycle will ever have and there are no problems. :?
  • I would rather err on the side of caution dennisn and ask advice rather than damage something I cannot afford to replace. Thankyou for your input though.
  • dennisn
    I would rather err on the side of caution dennisn and ask advice rather than damage something I cannot afford to replace. Thankyou for your input though.

If you can't afford to replace it then, by all means, take it off your bike and hang it on a wall. :wink:
  • Like I said dennisn thanx for your constructive invaluable input.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I believe the line from Shimano is that you do not need to grease the pivots and that you need to take some care to avoid damaging the factory lube. Have a look in the Shimano Tech Docs.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    It can take more dirt and moisture than you can throw at it. It's survived plenty of tests on the pro circuit.
    I hose mine down after a dirty ride and it's fine.
  • dennisn
    Like I said dennisn thanx for your constructive invaluable input.

Sorry, but you did say you couldn't afford to replace it. :?