Just chainring needed or entire chainset?

chorltonnick
chorltonnick Posts: 19
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I was cycling today on my fixed wheel conversion, went over a bump and felt my chain come off. Once I'd managed to (thankfully) come to a stop without falling off, I looked down and my front chainring was completely bent. Not sure exactly how it managed to do this but there's a pic of the aftermath attached.

My question is: what now? Will a new chainring suffice? Or am I looking at an entire new chainset?

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    That looks pretty terminal - the spider arms - which have the mounting points for the chainring look bent - you _could_ bend them back, but you won't get them exactly right and bending metal weakens it unless re-treated.
  • Throwing a little cold water on the forum here: Take this to your local bike shop! Nobody can tell you what you need from a photo! Something drastic has happened with that chainring, but otherwise, we can't diagnose it as a mechanic you trust can.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Trashed - I can tell from the cr@ppy photo there's no way that's repairable. It's a 30 year-old chainset on a cheap bike that was never designed to be ridden single ring - removing the riveted-on inner ring weakened the chainset and bears the consequences.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..