Good All Round trail Tyres?

ali266
ali266 Posts: 41
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am looking for a good tyre which will be good in all but the worst of conditions for aggressive trail riding. At the moment i am riding on conti Rubber queens 2.4. But the size of them seems a bit overkill
Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Bontrager xr4 team issue 2.2 been onn all year
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    What sort of surface? Roots? Rocks? etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ali266
    What sort of surface? Roots? Rocks? etc.
    Roots and rocky stuff. But also some nice flowy stuff with some loose rocks.
  • lostboysaint
    The XR4s aren't a bad shout then!

The Maxxis brigade will be along soon with ideas from their range, I don't know it well enough.

WTB Bronson are fabulous allrounders. Kenda Nevegal or their very close cousins the Panaracer Rampage will also do an excellent job. If you have a lot of rocks then the SC version on the front is always a good thing.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Rubber queen 2.2s!!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I never got on with my Rubber Queens (especially in the wet) but remember that we all probably ride on slightly different terrain. S

For me Maxxis Advantage 2.25, which comes up pretty big. Good all rounder.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • pass out,
    Ive been looking at changing my wtb viligante for summer and was looking at the schwalbe but reading really mixed reviews. would u say the advantage be good for the summer over cliff paths, road, loose rocks etc?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rubber Queen 2.2
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I've just bought some Continental Trail Kings (the new version of the Rubber Queens). I used them at Afan last week in varying conditions from wet soggy mud to dry very rocky terrain and they seemed to deal with things pretty well. Will get a better idea of them over the coming weeks.

Available in two types from bike-discount, and very cheap compared to other places I looked.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/trai ... ing-107835
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/trai ... ing-105651
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Specialized Butcher up front and Purgatory in 2.3"

decent size good weight, role well and grip brilliant. Butcher is like an improved minnion but faster and lighter, purgatory is less grippy but rolls fast is a great rear tyre :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    pass out,
    Ive been looking at changing my wtb viligante for summer and was looking at the schwalbe but reading really mixed reviews. would u say the advantage be good for the summer over cliff paths, road, loose rocks etc?

RE MAxxis advantage - yes to loose rock & most off road conditions (where I ride anyway, which is the Lakes) but no for the road.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    I also have the spesh's butcher and purgatory combo on my stumpy in .2.3 totaly great tyres for aggresive trails roll really well and have total convidence in them flying into berms, slippy roots etc will defo get this tyre combo when these wear out
  • Why are they no good for road?
  • ali266
    I am thinking about a minion dhf 2.35 on the front and a 2.25 ardent on the rear.
    What are peoples views on this combo?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I like the WTB Mutano.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm also a fan of the Butcher Control's as a very good all rounder (and also a very very good dry tyre). Normally run it with a Crossmark on the back but been trying 2 Butcher's the last few rides and been really liking it on the steeper muddy runs. They're not the fastest rolling tyres but not the slowest either and they've proved to be pretty damn tough and very easy to set up tubeless.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    On-One Smorgasbord - very good in nearly all conditions, fast, light and apparently made by Maxxis
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • minion/ardent or minion high roller both good combos
  • lostboysaint
    supersonic wrote:
    I like the WTB Mutano.

I'm a big fan, especially as it is very quick and light. They are on the Bandit for most of my local riding. But I found the Bronson better for rooty stuff, probably because of the slightly more broken tread pattern.

Whoever said the Smorgasbord - you got two out of three - it's made by Maxxis and it's very good (it's my 29er allround tyre) but it's definitely not light, even in the "lighter" Trail Extreme compound.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ali266
    Specialized Butcher up front and Purgatory in 2.3"

decent size good weight, role well and grip brilliant. Butcher is like an improved minnion but faster and lighter, purgatory is less grippy but rolls fast is a great rear tyre :)
    Will a butcher fit a fox 32 fork?