Pearson Cycles Belt Drive Single Speed?

jonnyboy77
jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
I spotted a Pearson Cycles single speed on the way home through Chelsea last week - not unusual until I noticed the belt drive - I can't find reference to it anywhere, so assume it was a one off or limited edition?

Anyone know anything else?

Thanks

Jon
Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I spotted a Pearson Cycles single speed on the way home through Chelsea last week - not unusual until I noticed the belt drive - I can't find reference to it anywhere, so assume it was a one off or limited edition?

Thanks

Jon

Could have been an after market change. It just needs a frame builder to add an SS coupler to the drive side seat stay.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonnyboy77
    Asprilla wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

Thanks

Jon

Could have been an after market change. It just needs a frame builder to add an SS coupler to the drive side seat stay.

I had considered that too, just curious - it looked really smart. Belt drive doesn't seem to have really taken off.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • asprilla
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

Thanks

Jon

I had considered that too, just curious - it looked really smart. Belt drive doesn't seem to have really taken off.

- Jon

I had one on an Alfine hub. I didn't like the hub and I was going to convert to single speed, but I turned out to be quite expensive.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonnyboy77
    Asprilla wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

Thanks

Jon

- Jon

I had one on an Alfine hub. I didn't like the hub and I was going to convert to single speed, but I turned out to be quite expensive.

hub gears is an itch I've yet to scratch (along with belt drive & tandems ..) I did recently ride a shaft driven bike (at the London Bike show) and that was a revelation.

http://www.dynamicbicyclesuk.co.uk/shop ... oductId=51

On the portly side, but a very pleasant ride around the flat and smooth test track they had set up.

- Jon
  • asprilla
    I found a hub gear to be heavy and unevenly spaced which meant getting a decent cadence could be difficult.

The lack of maintenance of the belt drive was great though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except that real world belt life has turned out to not really live upto expectations!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    The Rookie wrote:
    Except that real world belt life has turned out to not really live upto expectations!

Eh?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Asprilla,

just out of interest was your alfine 11 or 8 speed? I've got an 11 speed which I would say is a very minor compromise on gear spacing over 10 speed double

Cheers

J
  • asprilla
    jedster wrote:
    Asprilla,

just out of interest was your alfine 11 or 8 speed? I've got an 11 speed which I would say is a very minor compromise on gear spacing over 10 speed double

Cheers

J

Mine was an 8 speed. I also felt the weight upset the balance of the bike, especially when used in conjunction with panniers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've got both 8 and 11 speed Alfine. I'm not a massive fan of either compared to a simple, visible, easily-fixed derailleur setup.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    davis wrote:
    I've got both 8 and 11 speed Alfine. I'm not a massive fan of either compared to a simple, visible, easily-fixed derailleur setup.
    Its great for a low maintenance town pootle bike though.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Mine was an 8 speed.
    OK - they did look a bit gappy
    I also felt the weight upset the balance of the bike, especially when used in conjunction with panniers.
    Know what you mean, does make the rear end heavy. Think you get used to it though.

I do like the low maintenance aspect - I can get away with almost total neglect. But I wouldn't choose it over a derailleur except on an everyday / all weather commuter.
  • jonnyboy77
    it took a while. but this is the bike ...

http://www.ridecvln.com/bikes/lrlv-super-dlux/