hand cramp!!

Jdon
Jdon Posts: 45
I went up to lee quarry on Sunday and it was great! but after maybe 45 mins my hands began to cramp up and after like 90mins I could barely open my hand. I don't do a lot of that type of riding so could of been gripping to hard. any ideas? been looking at specialized ergo grips? cheers!

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Stop gripping the bars so hard

Do grip work in the gym
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    DCR00 wrote:
    Stop gripping the bars so hard

This ^^^^^^

Though I should talk, I have the full-on death grip when the trail gets a bit lairy for me!
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    It could be a combination of gripping too hard in which case you should regularly change hand position if possible and flex your hand, shake them out.

Your grips may have a small circumference which could cause cramp on people with large hands and this would mean changing your bars but try the top idea first.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Look at your position, possibly you need to be slightly more rearwards to give you a bit more confidence.

The grip size is a good one, but no need to change bars, just need different grips. ESI racers edge come in different sizes.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 296
    Xommul wrote:
    Your grips may have a small circumference which could cause cramp on people with large hands and this would mean changing your bars but try the top idea first.

You could try changing your grips rather than bars. I used to get cramp in hands when I used some superstar grips. Changed to ODI Rogues which have more defined grip pattern and a great improvement.
  • I get this also. Almost certainly from gripping too hard. I broke my hand 18months ago and after a while my pinky and ring finger become useless so I need to grip with my middle extra to make up for it. Not great when the bar gets ripped from my girly grip.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Jdon
    Jdon Posts: 45
    cheers dudes, yeah the more I've ridden the more the problem has subsided, still a alittle sore at times but things are looking up :)
  • no pain joy ride