Advice for a complete beginner

joannesmith2818
joannesmith2818 Posts: 26
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,
I went to centre parcs last week and rented a bike out....I loved it. I always used to have a banged up old mountain bike which I used pretty much every day. My dad and my other half are very much into road biking, and the pop spends thousands on them. So after consulting with the “experts” as they like to think themselves, I decided I would get a road bike, as I will only ever be cycling on roads.
So after a while trying to find a second hand one and the dad and bf saying that’s **** and that’s **** I have given up and got a new one without their help, because anything under a grand to them is rubbish so what’s the point in asking ^.-. Small frames for teeny people don’t come up all that often so second hand just went out the window. So as I had a very small budget I got a cheap road bike for £250 from Halfords. Hate the fact I had to go for the women’s ones...but it was the only one I could get on. They built several bike up for me to try...because I am super awkward.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710
So now I have a bike...well I will do tomorrow.
Where do I start? I am moderately fit. I spend time doing cardio and lift weights. Should I start off with some short rides? Maybe around some less busy areas so I can get used to the feel? I have to say I’m fairly nervous, though I am not sure why given that I can ride a bike perfectly well. I have had a go on a road bike before, but the one I tried was far too large so not very stable.
Also equipment wise...all I have is a helmet and a lock. Is there anything else I might need? I will be going biking with the other half and he carry’s all the stuff like pump and puncture kit.
I am quite a competitive person and like to give things my all, so any tips on how to advance with this would be great, or even any books that explain it all well!
Thanks

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It's not the worst bike I've ever seen for £250! But be warned that once you get into it "anything under a grand to them is rubbish" will apply to you too ;).

For a beginner getting used to it is a simple process, go out and ride for a little bit. Maybe half an hour to start with. At first it will destroy you, but after a while your body will adapt. Gradually increase the time you're riding for but no more than 10% a time until you're comfortable with it. Don't be afraid of stopping to have a rest, I still do! I know you want to give it your all right now, but steady on ;)

If you haven't already get yourself some proper cycling shorts and jersey, plus you'll need a puncture repair kit & pump. A track pump for home will be a good idea too.

PS Strava or it didn't happen.
  • kingofthetailwind
    kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
    edited April 2014
    Halfords' "mechanics" can be very good, or totally useless. So I'd check it's been built properly before riding it.

As above, build up your mileage slowly. Get proper padded shorts - most people prefer bib shorts with the shoulder straps. Consider clipless pedals such as SPD-SL. Get a bike fit. Prepare to watch your bank balance disappear!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Excellent - glad another one is riding ... have a look up for "Breeze Cycle" - it's women only rides organised by volunteer women backed by British Cycling- just social thing, usually not far and generally not fast and always to the pace of the slowest rider. You'll need your own spare tube, puncture repair kit and pump - plus a bottle and that's about it.

I've heard lots of women say they can't ride with their other halves because their other halves are super fit/fast and couldn't possibly ride at their speed - just so you know - this is complete bolx and I can say that for certainty having just come back from a week riding with my wife at her pace which was considerably less than my solo pace.

Oh - and be comforted that your bike probably cost less than one of the expensive bike wheels ... but it's all cycling ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Welcome.

Advice: ride your bike. Enjoy. Smile. Remove bugs from teeth. Smile some more.

Perfectly decent bike, BTW. Bet your next one costs more than £250, mind.

Remember: n+1

Welcome to the madhouse...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • crannman
    crannman Posts: 99
    only been road bikeing for a year got a carera virtuoso yes i could have spent more but the bike fit my budget little by little was my aim got a few rides around 2omile happy with that a good pair of padded shorts a must changed pedals to spd used to the now just enjoy what you have not what other people have
  • akc42
    akc42 Posts: 43
    Things that you didn't mention that you had but is essential, is a bottle cage and a bottle to hold water - or even better, I drop in a high5 zero cal tablet. I get through one of these about every 30 miles on a ride. Starter packs of the tablets include the bottle (aim for 750ml bottle). My second bike I bought (yes I got hooked and had to spend more on on a better bike) has two bottle cages, so I can carry more liquid for longer runs.

I also have a very small saddle bag with two spare inner tubes and three plastic tyre levers, alone with a smallish pump (which is carried next to the bottle cage). But you don't immediately need them - but to go out on your own it would be useful to get one.

Finally, some gloves topped off what I started with (about a year ago). Mine where Althura Egofit and they are perfect in both hot and cold weather. Don't seem to be able to buy them now (although Althura Raceline look like they may be the same). A high viz gillet, which I try and ride every trip, helps me be visible.

I pretty soon got (birthday present) some padded shorts and soon afterwards bought myself jerseys with rear pockets to carry things.

Since my house is on a flat at the top of a hill, anywhere I go is immediately downwards, but then most routes away from the house involve a climb. My early rides (about a year ago now) where just trying to get up the nearest climb without stopping (to get my breath back and to take copious amounts of the drink), but eventually after about a month I could the climb non stop.

Since about last July/August I always run Strava on my mobile phone to record every ride. I wish I had done it for the earlier rides before - just so I can look back on the improvements over time.

Also late August I bought myself some proper shoes (mountain bike style so I could walk on them off the bike) with spd pedals.

I wish you all the pleasure I have found (not to mention that massive weight loss that I have succeeding in achieving)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I hope you just go out and enjoy riding at first, and get used to the gears etc. If you're reasonably fit already, half an hour on the bike certainly won't destroy you unless you are going out trying to time trial. Plenty of time for that in the future if you are really competitive.
  • Wow thanks for all of the responses.
    I looked at a fair few bikes and for £250 I couldn’t find much else really. Plus I think it looks quite nice. And yes I have heard of this Strava app, unfortunately I have a windows phone so can’t get it, though it has an equivalent one which I shall be using. It would definitely be nice to see any improvements over time!
    It looks like there is a fair amount of kit I need to invest in. I will have to wait to get paid for most of it, but I might pick up a bottle holder and some padded shorts with my bike tomorrow. For now I was planning to just wear tight clothing, like the things I would normally wear to the gym. I looooove techy things so If I do get well into this, there are plenty of gadgets to get my paws on!
    I get to pick up my bike tomorrow afternoon, though I wish I could have picked it up today as the weather was so nice, and there were a lot of people around cycling. I am taking it down from Hull to Oxford where my other half lives, so hopefully the weather will be ok for me to take it for a spin. Plus he can check it is all built properly! I might get him to teach me a few things as well as I don’t even know how to fix a puncture. I was worried that the other half might be too fast for me, but he has assured me he will take it easy when I’m there and he can get his faster riding in on other day. We live 200 miles apart so there is plenty of time for him to do that!
    Akc42 – congrats on the weight loss. I have lost 2 stone in the last year and am at my ideal weight. So really I needed a new focus. I love lifting weights, but wanted something less indoorsy and what better time than spring/summer. I need something to challenge me and this now has to come with getting fitter and faster!
    And I will definitely try and enjoy myself. I always remember when I was younger, my dad used to drag us on EPIC cycle rides and it really put me off. I mean the sort of rides where you are carrying your bike up the mountain and then down again because it’s too steep to ride lol. Back in the day when my dad preferred mountain biking. I will be keeping on top of the forum and will do an update in a few weeks to sort of log my progress!!
    Thanks again!!
    P.s. EXCITED
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My son had a bike with Tourney spec components from Halfords (this was before I knew too much about bikes).

They didn't last that well and he wasn't commuting on it every day, maybe a 10-20 miler every other weekend. I've ended up replacing the bottom bracket, crank set and rear derailer. The chain had a habit of coming off the little ring and getting stuck between the ring and bottom bracket, this led to a bent rear derailer which would hit the spokes when using the big sprockets, poor shifting and usually destroyed the chain. I think one time when it tore up the chain like this some metal got inside the BB and chewed up the bearings. It got brakes and wheels donated when I broke a frame. It's now on an Alivio (equivalent to Sora/Tiagra) drivetrain and XTR (Equivalent to Ultegra) brakes and rides pretty well for what was sub £200 bike and weighs in at a healthy 13kg not bad for a cheap hardtail and light enough to get away with as an emergency commuter .

Anyway, enjoy getting out and riding your Zelos until stuff starts to break then you get all the fun of buying, fitting and setting up new gear. Before long you might just start getting into this kind of epic cycle ride: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... -sportive/
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Yeh I guessed the parts would be pants. Hopfully by the time it breaks I will be able to afford a better bike. 6 more months and I can get a proper job. If not im sure my dad has every spare part going anyway. He actually offered to build a bike but I need something that wont get stolen!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Cycling gloves are essential in the event of a crash. get some.
    Carry spare inner, pump and levers. Practice an inner tube change.

Ride a little every day, extending your duration.
    Ride a a steady pace.
    After 3 weeks you will be conditioned to being on the bike and can use it for fitness training, longer rides or whatever.

the bike is fine but keep the parts correctly adjusted.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Its absolutely normal to have a sore backside for a bit. :wink:
    If this doesn't improve after a few rides, different saddles suit different people, so it's not the end of your cycling career. A saddle swap may fix things. :)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I looked at a fair few bikes and for £250 I couldn’t find much else really. Plus I think it looks quite nice. And yes I have heard of this Strava app, unfortunately I have a windows phone so can’t get it, though it has an equivalent one which I shall be using. It would definitely be nice to see any improvements over time!

Cool, one thing to note is that you can use other sports tracking apps, such as Endomondo, and then export the file from their website and import it into Strava, so you can get all the benefits of tracking improvements on segments etc but you don't have to use the app.
  • I will check that out!! Thanks for the info. I am now in possession of my bike and have added a pic to the bit where you show them off....though doesnt really fit in alongside the uber bikes lol.
  • You may find that the Kenda tyres pick up punctures quite easily.

If so, consider a transfer to some kevlar lined ones. Something like the Schwalbe Luganos in 700x25 would be slightly wider than yours but a bit grippier and puncture resistant and would cost about 20-30 quid...
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    It might be worthwhile changing an inner-tube at home as practice just in case you get a flat while out.
    Speaking of which, I need to do my front one now :x