cup and cone rear axel undoing itself

theadam4
theadam4 Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

My road bike is old, very old ... 30+ years old ! and has been happily sitting doing nothing for most of its life. Last year I started to use it for my commute and all was fine until last when for some reason the rear cone on the non drive side has started to unwind ! within a couple of miles it goes from no lateral play to the wheel wobbling about 3 inches! a bit disconcerting to say the least!

I tighten it up but it just happens again.

I've replaced the axle (and cones and lock nuts) but it still occurs!

Am I right in thinking that the only method to stop this occurring is to tighten the cone against the lock nut or have I missed something?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    There should be a lock nut adjacent to the cone, the two need to be tightened against each other...to stop the cone moving once in the right position. If you don't have a lock but, that'll be the reason for your troubles.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Spectre
    Spectre Posts: 16
    Have you got a cone wrench? (Basically a thin spanner). As said above, you need to tighten the cone against the locking nut. If that's done properly then its not going to move.