Newcastle - Amsterdam Bike Transport Ferry to Train

enzo berzot
enzo berzot Posts: 96
edited April 2014 in Tour & expedition
I am heading from Newcastle to Amsterdam to cycle the Zuiderzee route this summer.
There seem to be a couple of travel issues surrounding getting to and from the DFDS ferry...

1. There are 10 miles between train station in Newcastle and the ferry terminal in North Shields but apparently no transport there for bikes - it would appear that bikes are not allowed on the Newcastle Metro.
Cycle Transport North East may be a solution but I wonder if anyone out there have tried any other methods?
I am arriving by train and would rather not risk a soaking when cycling my way to the ferry terminal.

2. On arrival at Iljumiden there is an 18 mile distance to Amsterdam.
Due to my schedule I need to get to Amsterdam ASAP.
The Fast Flying hydrofoil ferry was stopped on 1.1.14 and need to get myself and bike to the city without cycling.

Any ideas out there?

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    To get into Amsterdam the only option now is the DFDS coach; you could enquire if they take bikes. If it's bixed up it shouldnt be a problem, I take my bikebox on buses all the times. You could also see whether you could get a large taxi, but that might be quite expensive. To be honest, cycling it will take you less than an hour, even with route finding, and wont be much slower than public transport
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I know its not the answer you are looking for, but in my opinion your best bet is to cycle on both sides.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....