Giant Trance upgrades/ improvements

Cayotcas
Cayotcas Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Giant trance upgrades ,I have questions please
by Cayotcas » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:26 am

Hello
I'm collecting a 2013 trance 29er 2 soon (new)
I ride mostly trail centre stuff
I had an anthem which had a 3X chainset and having ridden bikes with 2X I don't seem to feel comfortable and ride as fast or climb as quickly ( can't get the gears v pace quite right !)
Was thinking of putting a 3X chainset on the new bike ,is it as simple as that ?
Do I need other parts as well ?
Any other ideas please ?
Appreciate any advice
Trying to keep cost down as I'm only keeping the bike until new models arrive later in the year
Many thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A triple chainset wont make any difference for climbing, it will just give you a taller gear to use on roads.
  • Cayotcas
    Cayotcas Posts: 9
    Thanks
    I'm not great with the whole gearing philosophy thing !
    I don't ride on the road at all ,any ideas as to what might be a better option ?
    It seems to me that I'm in the wrong gear and pedal too fast for no benefit , on the anthem it just seemed to work
    I'm working harder with a double chainset
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just learn to put it in the right gear, if you're pedalling too fast change up one gear at a time until you aren't!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Agree with those above really. 3x10 isn't going to help you, I think once you have spent some time on the new bike and got used it you have no probs. Maybe the money you were willing to spend on a 3x10 crankset you could put towards a skills course to help your riding. I've done a couple now and they were very helpful indeed.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938