Castelli Gabba Long Sleeve

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Owners of the above, what would you say is the temperature range for this jersey? Thinking about buying one but don't want it to turn out to be too warm now the weather is on the up(ish)

Would be using short sleeve base layer underneath, or long sleeve to increase min temp I guess

And yes, I realise everyone copes with temperature differently, I'm just looking for a few peoples view if possible

Thanks
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Would be way too warm now. I have worn mine over the winter with a LS base and was fine. However, the winter was relateively mild in London this year. I put it at the same level as my Torm LS tops if that is any help.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The Gabba is surprisingly breathable but you'd only really want it when it was a bit damp and misty (if not showery) in current mild temperatures. I've got one and found it good down to around 5 degrees, but have more recently been using their Velocissimo long sleeve jersey, paired with the matching gilet for chilly early starts. Obvious benefit being you can easily store the gilet when the day heats up, and the jersey seems very breathable indeed. Bear in mind the Long sleeve Gabba has mesh chest vents, whereas the short sleeve doesn't. As the body of the LS and SS is the same thickness of material I'm not sure which is actually the most versatile.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I wore mine last Friday and was too warm - temp was around 12degC. If you the type to feel the cold on a bike it might be a good item of spring clothing (here in the UK at least). I get warm quick and stay warm so its been great over the winter for me but I don't expect to be wearing it too often from now on.

Unlike menthel, I'd put it as a step up from a Torm jersey which I wore all through last summer (short sleeved version admittedly, but the same sportswool material as the long sleeve I think).
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Still wearing mine, but then i'm a wuss. Ride home last night in c12 degrees with a short sleeve Torm underneath. Not too hot at all with vents open (and i ride fairly hard on the commute).

I reckon i'll drop it when the temp gets to around 15 degrees.

With a long sleeve merino and short sleeve Torm underneath it did me all winter. Then again i think it only went sub-zero once. At around 2-3 degrees i was plenty warm enough. And like i say, i'm a wuss.

Best single item of clothing i've ever owned.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I own an ss gabba and have worn it with a base / ss jersey and armwarmers through winter with no issues. I've noticed it is quite windproof which seems to make it warmer than my Torm LS jersey.

Having said that I stopped wearing it about three weeks ago after it warmed up. It would be boil in the bag now. Not sure how the LS differes in front construction.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    The long sleeve gabba has become my go to top for the last couple of month's , as stated earlier vary the layers and it does just about every temperature.

Not tried it yet in anything 'warm' for the uk yet but I would guess it should be good up to about 15 if riding steady, anything above that the short sleeve jerseys will be out , I ride at some odd times with my work times so this covers some rather odd start and finish times.

I would highly recommend it and in theory there should be some deals coming as the weather improves.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Thanks for the replies all. I'll hold off I think
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I can recommend the Assos tiburu for current temps, from about 47 to 60 F, maybe even higher, it hasn't got that warm here yet.
    Smarter than the average bear.