Sora vs Ultegra cassette

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
So, the 00 needs some cassette and chain TLC- will be getting a KMC chain for ease of cleaning etc but do I treat the bike to the ultegra 12-25 or the boggo sora hg50 12-25?

Difference in shifting quality and longevity?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Difference in 9 speed and 10 speed?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have seen huge differences in the quality of Tiagra components to Ultegra so I'd imagine, for the difference in price (if you shop carefully) the Ultegra will be in a different league from Sora and will, for sure, last longer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    9sp Ultegra cassettes are about £30 and the sora is £12 on wiggle, so a fairly big leap. May be worth the money if I can get a few chains worth out of the ultegra one.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    menthel wrote:
    So, the 00 needs some cassette and chain TLC- will be getting a KMC chain for ease of cleaning etc but do I treat the bike to the ultegra 12-25 or the boggo sora hg50 12-25?

Difference in shifting quality and longevity?

Can't comment on the shifting but I'd guess a Sora cassette will have steel cogs whereas the ultegra one will have aluminium cogs. In theory this means that the ultegra cassette will wear more quickly than the Sora one. Although saying that as long as you don't give a hoot about religiosly replacing things as soon as the chain starts to wear you can get a lot of miles out of an ultegra cassette. I've had a 11-25 ultegra cassette on my cross bike for ~10000miles using a single chain. I'm getting some very occasional slippage now but until that started (in the last week or so) its been trouble free. :)

This is combined with a 105 chain and a cleaning regime that consists of giving the chain an in situ scrub when it looks excessively filthy with an oily rag. Only degreasing I've ever done is that that can be achieved by riding a bike through mud for 30mins and then lobbing a few buckets of water over it. ;)

Mike
  • Sora and Ultegra both have steel cogs and the profile of the teeth are the same. I have used both and the performance difference, if there is any, is minimal. They have a different finish, sora is shiny, ultegra matt and the ultegra gears have more material removed from the individual gears themselves to save weight. Also the spider which carries the 3 or 4 largest gears is made from aluminium (also drilled to save weight) and I believe the spider for sora is made from steel.

So the only real difference is cost and weight. You'll get the same amount of wear out of both of them, but unless you've got your eye on a 6500 ultegra (9 speed) the current version, 6800 is 11 speed and the older versions 6700 and 6600 are 10 speed, so won't be compatible with sora anyway.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • menthel
    Sora and Ultegra both have steel cogs and the profile of the teeth are the same. I have used both and the performance difference, if there is any, is minimal. They have a different finish, sora is shiny, ultegra matt and the ultegra gears have more material removed from the individual gears themselves to save weight. Also the spider which carries the 3 or 4 largest gears is made from aluminium (also drilled to save weight) and I believe the spider for sora is made from steel.

So the only real difference is cost and weight. You'll get the same amount of wear out of both of them, but unless you've got your eye on a 6500 ultegra (9 speed) the current version, 6800 is 11 speed and the older versions 6700 and 6600 are 10 speed, so won't be compatible with sora anyway.

As stated above its the 9sp 6500. I think I might just stick with the HG50 for commuting duties. Save the money for replacing the 12-30 centaur cassette on the italia when the time comes!
    RIP commute...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Sora and Ultegra both have steel cogs and the profile of the teeth are the same. I have used both and the performance difference, if there is any, is minimal. They have a different finish, sora is shiny, ultegra matt and the ultegra gears have more material removed from the individual gears themselves to save weight. Also the spider which carries the 3 or 4 largest gears is made from aluminium (also drilled to save weight) and I believe the spider for sora is made from steel.

Well based on this, I went to look at my Tiagra (turbo bike) cassette compared to an Ultegra (both 10-speed). I'd hazard a guess that the two are manufactured in a different process because there's a clear difference in the ramps on the gears. And, yes, whilst both are made of steel, there's steel and there's steel... When the Tiagra cassette turned up I remember thinking that I now know what I pay for in Ultegra.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Id reckon you would see a massive difference between Sora and 105 so you could also try 105 as a cheaper option.

imo there isnt that much difference between 105 and ultegra
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • menthel
    goonz wrote:
    Id reckon you would see a massive difference between Sora and 105 so you could also try 105 as a cheaper option.

imo there isnt that much difference between 105 and ultegra

In 9 speed there are three options, HG50, HG80 (probably tiagra equivalent) and ultegra. No 9spd 105 any more!
    RIP commute...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ah sorry didnt read the 9 speed part, my fault.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    rubertoe wrote:

Now my brain hurts! ;)
    RIP commute...