Change cables when change shifters?

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm changing my groupset from old Shimano 2300 8 speed triple to a compact 10 speed (mainly Tiagra with few 105 bits).

Never done any of the stuff before but figured it would be a good learning experience and I've indexed gears and stuff before.

Main question is around cables - would it be possible to reuse the existing brake and gear cables or would I need new? If I need new then would I need both inners and outers or just new inners? I had all the cabling replaced in December so all still in very good condition.

Thanks
Triban 3

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Certainly change the inners - they cost less than a couple of quid and are not worth reusing (and can be a pain to rethread through a new shifter if they've been crimped at the original deraillieur.

You may find changing the outers helpful anyway - unless the routing on the shifters is identical, re-using an outer with even an inch or so too little/much length can make the difference between smooth shifting and hit and miss shifting.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i'd change both inners and outers. cables are a couple of quid and most bike shops and ebay etc do cable housing by the metre.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yes.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm getting some work done at the LBS and they've said new cables for everything inner/outer would be £2.50 - so crazy not to!