Stem Angles

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I want a 100 mm stem but am unsure what angle to get. For instance this stem '3T ARX Team Alloy Oversized Road Stem' comes in either 6 degrees or 17 degrees.

I know its to do with the angle of your head tube and how much you want the bars to rise relative to the horizontal but don't know which I should get. I am wanting the stem and the bars to be flat i.e. no rise or fall. Any advice?

Thanks
Mañana

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    pb21 wrote:
    I want a 100 mm stem but am unsure what angle to get. For instance this stem '3T ARX Team Alloy Oversized Road Stem' comes in either 6 degrees or 17 degrees.

I know its to do with the angle of your head tube and how much you want the bars to rise relative to the horizontal but don't know which I should get. I am wanting the stem and the bars to be flat i.e. no rise or fall. Any advice?

Thanks
    The headtube angle on a roadbike is typically 73 degrees +/-0.5 degrees. So if you need the stem to be level you'll want a 17 degree stem.

i.e. 73+17 = 90 degrees (to the vertical = horizontal)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/ use this and type in the numbers and you'll get your answer.

Yes typically headtubes are 73deg but not always if the bike frame is particularly small or large. But as shown on the default page -17 deg is correct for straight, although that's a pretty steep stem.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Thanks for the replies, will have a look at that website too!
    Mañana