Brake blocks

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Had my Giant Defy since last May and the standard brake blocks that came with it are getting ready for replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should replace them with? I've been told the ones that came with it wont be great in terms of performance so looking for an improvement on them.

Thank you!
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• Koolstop salmon

PS the next posters will all either say the same or Swissstop Green - and no I'm not psychic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Swissstop Green.

PS More black looking than green
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Swissstop Green

(just for wishitwasallflat the psychic).

I've never used Koolstop Salmon - I have used Swissstop Green for the past 4 years and have never been left in need of more road than is available. So I am happy with them.

I know plenty of people who have only ever ridden Koolstop and say the same - so there's probably not a lot to choose between them. They are both high quality and dependable.
  • Schoie81
    Koolstop salmon

PS the next posters will all either say the same or Swissstop Green - and no I'm not psychic

So you're saying its just a case of choosing between these two and ignore everything else?

You sure you don't want a go at tonight's Euromillions numbers?? :wink:
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    Koolstop salmon

So you're saying its just a case of choosing between these two and ignore everything else?

You sure you don't want a go at tonight's Euromillions numbers?? :wink:

Yes that's your choice - marcusjb summed it up - and no I'm fed up with gambling its just too easy for me!
  • Anonymous
    Schoie81 wrote:

Pretty much this ^

I think the Swissstops are a fair chunk more expensive and possibly too good (meaning wheel may lock up) at their job, so if you can suffer salmon coloured pads the Koolstops might be the better option.
  • Checks prices though cause Swissstop I'm sure are priced for pack of four Koolstops are pairs.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ true

Swissstop Greens last a heck of a long time in my experiences - year round rider (very light though) - the current set on my main distance bike were put on February 10th last year and are just under 11000km old now.

Previous set did around 20000km and still had a little life (and I probably didn't need to change both pairs).
  • Schoie81
    Checks prices though cause Swissstop I'm sure are priced for pack of four Koolstops are pairs.

Quick browse online confirms this - Koolstop around £11.50 for a pair, Swissstop £21 for 2 pairs so not much in it, but Swissstop slightly cheaper. :)
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Carbonator wrote:
    Swissstop Green

+1

I've tried others and came back to these..
  • Schoie81
    Just taken a closer look at my brakes and they are fixed with a short bolt that screws directly into the back of the block so I can't just buy the Swissstop inserts which seems to be what most people sell. Anyone know of anywhere that sells the inserts and holders together? Can I buy a 'holder' manufactured by someone else and the swissstop inserts will fit in them or do I need to buy the Swissstop holders?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Just taken a closer look at my brakes and they are fixed with a short bolt that screws directly into the back of the block so I can't just buy the Swissstop inserts which seems to be what most people sell. Anyone know of anywhere that sells the inserts and holders together? Can I buy a 'holder' manufactured by someone else and the swissstop inserts will fit in them or do I need to buy the Swissstop holders?

If its a small screw you're talking about, that's standard. Unscrew it, then the brake pad should slide out. New pads slide in and the Swisstop pads at least come with new screws. I use Swisstop black, lasted about 18 months on my winter bike (3000 miles), they're not cheap but the pads wear instead of the rims.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Schoie81
    DrLodge - no its not just a screw holding the insert in, it is holding the whole block onto the brake calipers
  • Anonymous
    You might be able to get block and pads in one, but you will be better off getting the correct (slide in/out type) blocks/holders so that it makes it easier to change pads next time.
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:
    You might be able to get block and pads in one, but you will be better off getting the correct (slide in/out type) blocks/holders so that it makes it easier to change pads next time.

Carbonator - sorry, yeah that's what I meant - when I said 'together' I just meant a retailer that sells both the insert and the holder, rather than just selling the insert? Wiggle/CRC/amazon/planet X where I normally get stuff from only seem to sell the inserts?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Like these? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273953

Sounds like you have "MTB" pads.

Did a search on "Swisstop Full Flash pro", a few places sell them but my work browser blocks the other sites.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Schoie81
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-brake-pads-p453-non-cartridge/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360493266

These are the kind of thing I've got at the moment. And yes, that's what I need - thanks Dr. Lodge. I never think to look at Halfords....
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    These are Swisstop black. 2 pairs with holders = £28

http://www.merlincycles.com/sram-by-swi ... 68078.html
  • Schoie81
    Cheers bobones - that's a good price, cheapest I had found were £18 for a pair and £2 delivery. At £28 for 2 pairs they're not that much more than the inserts alone (albeit black instead of green pads...)
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Just got some Swisstop Greens from Wiggle. Taking there time to dispatch mind, - hope it aint this thread! :)

Last lot were Swisstop Black but they wore pretty quickly. Hopefully these will be better.