Garmin Edge 510

sja88
sja88 Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I am new this year to road cycling with a view to not only getting out on a bike but also to improve my level of fitness (which is starting at a fairly low level) and lose some weight.

To date I have been logging rides with Strava which is fantastic, but does not give any real time information that you can refer to whilst out on a ride e.g. current speed, average speed, cadence, HR.

Having read up on improving fitness and cycling capability, targeting heart rate zones seems like a good way to improve fitness more effectively and show improvements more rapidly, for this reason I have been looking at a cycle computer which shows real time HR, speed, cadence etc.

At first I looked at a wireless cateye system c.£110, then it made me look at the garmin 500 which was only about £50 more and now that has made me look at the Garmin 510!

The question to me is whether it the 510 is worth it and if it is the best GPS computer to get at the price / functionality level?

I like the fact that the 510 does not need plugging into a computer to upload and it interfaces with the iphone, it obviously also stores all the ride data unlike the cateye system i was looking at first. Equally the 510 is a fairly new model so should continue to supported by Garmin for sometime unlike the 500.

Your views on the Garmin 510 / any other suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Comments

• I've got a 510. Love it. I'm sure it's helped me ride faster by better allowing me to better analyze my training. I'm on my second unit. The mount lugs broke off on the original one. Others have had this problem.

You can create / plot routes to follow at sites like ridewithgps.com. You then get turn by turn notifications.

Suggest you check out the Garmin forums as some people have had issues with the 510. Generally the unit is very well behaved.
  • nigeldoyle wrote:
    I've got a 510. Love it. I'm sure it's helped me ride faster by better allowing me to better analyze my training. I'm on my second unit. The mount lugs broke off on the original one. Others have had this problem.

You can create / plot routes to follow at sites like ridewithgps.com. You then get turn by turn notifications.

Suggest you check out the Garmin forums as some people have had issues with the 510. Generally the unit is very well behaved.

+1

I had the edge 200 first but this is miles better (even though the 200 was good)

Would buy again no hesitation
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    I would get the 500 or the 810. For me they are the best units Garmin offers.

500 does everything the 510 does and is lighter i.e. not worth spending the extra for the 510. As for the 800/810 I think the 810 is far superior. Depends if you want a GPS/Sat Nav device (810) or just a GPS/training device (500).
  • I have a 500 and my wife bought me a 510 for a present earlier this year. I still have not been able to pair the 510 with the speed / cadence sensor so I am still using the 500 which worked fine straight out of the box.