Walking boots

Jake2.0
Jake2.0 Posts: 46
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Are walking boots any good for using on flat pedals?

Comments

• batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    It depends on what you mean by "walking boots" as they come in many variations. If you pick some that are reasonably stiff in the mid-sole and where the tread is not too aggressive they can work quite well. A mate uses these and gets on with them very well.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Depends a lot on the tread. Approach shoes tend to be pretty good, but full on walking boots not so much.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    With full on walking boots, I would be concerned with the limited ankle movement too
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I wear these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Hiking- ... rell+boots

I'm sure a pair of 5.10s would be better, but how much better is debatable. My feet don't get too hot, even in summer, and it has to be seriously wet before my feet get wet. They don't slip at all on a pair of Saints (washers removed) and they give me ankle protection which most of the 5.10s don't. Sole stiffness seems about right – they don't flop around the pedal but I can still feel where it is and what it's doing under my foot. And for me, personally, it's a big deal that they're really comfortable as I have terrible trouble finding shoes I can wear for any length of time. Oh, and unlike 5.10s, they look like something you actually should be wearing in a forrest rather than in a skatepark!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    5.10 or LaSportiva climbing approach shoes are reasonably good. Stiff soles and sticky rubber.
  • Angus Young
    5.10 or LaSportiva climbing approach shoes are reasonably good. Stiff soles and sticky rubber.

I've been wondering about 5.10's other ranges and how they might fare as bike shoes, seeing as I hate the look of everything in their bike range. These caught my eye...

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... a-sun#tab3
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have a pair of them for climbing. The older version of the guides is what the 5.10 mtb shoes evolved from.
    The soles of the climbing shoe is much more flexible, flex is good for climbing. They also have no protection for the laces.
    They are really comfortable, I kept mine on for five days solid when I climbed in Yosemite, I even slept in them. They did smell like bigfoots d1ck after that though.
  • Angus Young
    Not sure I'd be able to sleep in my climbing shoes. I do the two-sizes-too-small thing to make sure they don't move on my feet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Approach shoes don't need to be as tight as rock shoes which is why I use them for aid climbing.
    British VS is about my limit in them though.
  • Jake2.0
    Jake2.0 Posts: 46
    Thanks for the swift replies was thinking about these http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-an ... e=18215303 as the vibram sole seems a good choice?
  • rockmonkeysc
    They will be hopeless. Its no good having sticky rubber if the sole has a chunky tread pattern which means you have half as much rubber in contact with the pedal.