Snowdon conditions and has the Ranger path been altered?

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited April 2014 in Routes
Weather permitting, we're riding Snowdon a week on Saturday. Drove past it last Sunday and it looked quite white up there.. Anyone ridden / walked it recently, what conditions are the routes in?

Also, sure I read somewhere about some work being done on the Rangers path, has this finished, has it made the few good bits any worse ie smooth?

Ta.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I'm going up on the 26th. if you go will you let me know what it's like please? :D
  • DodgeT
    Will do. You coming stiniog on the 13th or what???
  • welshkev
    DodgeT wrote:
    Will do. You coming stiniog on the 13th or what???

no I can't do it. the gf is booked on a tattoo party..whaterver the fark that is?!? so I'm on babysitting duties :(

I'm up there on the 18th may though if you're around? me, northern monkey and 3 others :D
  • DodgeT
    Is that like a tupperware party, but permanent?

Will see nearer the time, could be tempted.
  • DodgeT
    welshkev wrote:
    I'm going up on the 26th. if you go will you let me know what it's like please? :D

Did Llanberis up and down and there's not a touch of snow on the trails. Tiny bit on the edges up top, but nothing you'd go near....
    Have to say, I enjoyed Llanberis down far more than rangers and telegraph which I did a few years ago.
  • welshkev
    DodgeT wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Did Llanberis up and down and there's not a touch of snow on the trails. Tiny bit on the edges up top, but nothing you'd go near....
    Have to say, I enjoyed Llanberis down far more than rangers and telegraph which I did a few years ago.

nice one, cheers mate :D
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    DodgeT wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

But 5 of us from the same party did Llanberis up and Rangers/Telegraph down and enjoyed it immensely - we all thought it was superb!! We only saw about 20 walkers on the whole descent down Rangers/Telegraph whereas there were probably at least 20 per 100 metres (in the way) going down Llanberis - correct Roger?
  • DodgeT
    Wondered how long it'd be :)

You enjoyed it, so fair enough. I've done Rangers and Telegraph before and frankly thought it wasn't worth the push / climb, but everyone has they're own favourite. The other 5 who did Llanberis down with me also loved it.
    I would go back up and down Llanberis tomorrow if I could, irrelevant of the extra walkers. I wouldn't lose any sleep about not doing Rangers/Telegraph however.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    DodgeT wrote:
    Wondered how long it'd be :)

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree - you at least have the advantage of having done both descents, whereas I have the advantage of being awesome :wink:
  • DodgeT
    Going to put some dates together over July / Aug time to do an early morning run as we talked about with the others. Be good to get a decent group on it again!
  • welshkev
    Llanberis up, ranger path/telegraph valley down.

I'm fecked! More to follow when I'm alive lol
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    sorry to hijack this thread, but off to do llanberis / rangers / telegraph in a couple of weeks.

how long should i budget time wise to get up llanberis for an averagely fit rider with a few rest stops. haven't walked that route up in years so can't picture it?

trying to work out depart time to fit with the bike ban

thanks
  • welshkev
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    sorry to hijack this thread, but off to do llanberis / rangers / telegraph in a couple of weeks.

how long should i budget time wise to get up llanberis for an averagely fit rider with a few rest stops. haven't walked that route up in years so can't picture it?

trying to work out depart time to fit with the bike ban

thanks

it took me 2 hours to get up and I'm only average fitness. the slowest was 2 hours 35 iirc. it then took me approx. 35 mins to get back down
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Cheers