Cannondale v Focus - final decisions

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
A pal of mine is on the cusp of buying his dream bike, and has narrowed the search down to two options, as follows:

1. Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod Red (2013) @ £3,000 (RRP £5,000) - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46892/
- comes with Vision TC24 tubular wheels, which he would look to sell
- has been offered Mavic Ksyrium SLSs for an additional £400, so would look to sell the Visions to cover this
- full SRAM Red
- fantastic reviews but this would be a mail order buy (although he has tried for size already)
- would need to buy pedals and Garmin separately (c. additional £400)

2. Focus Izalco Team SL 3.0 (2014) @ £3,125 - http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/ ... sl-30.html
- comes with free Garmin 800 and Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals
- comes with Fulcrum WH-CEX 2.5 wheels (similar to Fulcrum 3s?)
- full Dura Ace (mech)
- Tour spec, apparently frame set is an "upgrade" on the award-winning Izalco Pro frame

On face value, in terms of value for spec, the Cannondale probably wins. But is it really worth the extra hassle/risk of buying mail order vs (friendly and helpful) LBS (who have worked hard to cut him a good deal in an attempt to sway him into buying the Focus)? It is very hard to quantify the performance gains between 2 incredibly high-spec bikes - both of which he admits will be more than he will ever need, but ultimately he wants the best bang for buck possible.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• pedalbasher
    Ps majority of riding will be up to 50 miles, some sportives, possibly a bit of racing, 24 hour relay race etc.
  • SSE everytime, Pauls Cycles are pretty good as are many others
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pedalbasher
    Cheers, any tangible differences in the ride / quality? Surely tough to argue one Tour-proven bike is so much better than another?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    go and ride them both, its the only way of getting the right bike.
  • pedalbasher
    giant man wrote:
    go and ride them both, its the only way of getting the right bike.

He's ridden them both, they both feel spot on, is there any reason why one on paper is considerably better value than the other?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I own the hi mod supersix evo with the SLS wheels. However, if your mate cannot differentiate between the ride quality of both then I would go for the Focus. Both are pro level frames, SRAM Red is comparable to Dura ace, the SLS is probably better than the Fulcrum wheels but this is countered by the pedal and Garmin 800 offer. The Cannondale at £5000 wasn't a bargain.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Cannondale has lifetime warranty vs 5 years Focus?