New crankset, bit miffed on what to get

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im building up a second bike using mainly spares but now ive ran out when it comes to the pedalling parts. I thought I had a set of cranks but looks like theyve gone probably sold knowing me.

Crank wise im a bit miffed, looking for something light but strong for a 9spd setup.

So far ive looked at these, im only going to be running a 2X9 setup so not fisused on the big ring any suggestions over these?

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx ... 49509.html

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod28019

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd go the merlin one with bash if that's your thing. Ratios look about right for a 9 spd 2 ring.
  • I had a set of the slx twin and bash in my hands when I built my bike. Ultimately, I didn't use them, but that's nothing to do with their quality or ability.

They bashring seemed pretty substantial, and the nice bit about the cranks is they have steel pedal thread inserts.

As for 22/36. Usual gear range on a triple is 24/32/42

So you've lost 2 teeth on the lower gear, but gained 4 on the bigger. Seems a good gear range?

Worst case is a change to a 24 on the smaller ring. Or drop down 2 cogs on the back ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most common three ring would be 22/32/44 I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SLX double and bash is pretty heavy, it's designed for heavy duty usage with a heavy bash and thicker axle, so they don't do the light but do the strong you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    You do know the Merlin one is 170mm crank length?
  • step83
    I do Levi, im only short anyway.

Rookie you about to suggest anything else? I know lightweight is your area of expertise
  • Chunkers1980
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't have thought so. The SLX triple is the one to go for and then convert.
  • cooldad wrote:

How come almost all shimano 3 ring cranks have a 24/32/42 setup then?
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    I run this on my 2x9 setup works a treat
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx ... 58858.html
  • The Rookie
    SLX can be had as triple, double with bash and an XC double (which can't take a bash or outer), either would be better bet than double and bash.
    http://www.wamsleycycles.com/product/sh ... 0716-1.htm

On ring sizes, Shimano are usually 22/32/42 (or 28/38/38 for touring) while Truvativ usually do 22/32/44. (please note the usages of the word usually!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Id Discounted those as i though they were for 10 speed only, is that not the case?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

How come almost all shimano 3 ring cranks have a 24/32/42 setup then?
    10 speed often do because cassettes go to 36, 9 speed most common granny is 22. OP has 9 speed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    Rookie, would that SLX you've linked work ok on a 9spd setup?
  • The Rookie
    Yes, no problem, the rings are slightly closer together but will work fine with 9.
  • Chunkers1980
    Unless you're going x10 anytime soon it's best to get the correct setup. The 9 speed slx triple seems like it would work for you removing the outer ring, giving you the choice to fit a lightweight bash should you desire.
  • The Rookie
    I disagree, the SLX double has better ratios for a double and it will work fine on a nine speed setup, many people have done this without issue. Also the double specific gives the correct chainline while removing the large from a triple means you have to (should be) using the middle ring much more.
  • Chunkers1980
    A double does not give you the correct chainline. A triple has a middle which is the best chainline. A double does not have a midlle so both or one ring will be compremised. We've never agreed on this.... OP what ratios you choose are up to your legs and riding.
  • The Rookie
    With a double you can run both rings about equally in terms of wear, you can't with a triple less big ring.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    mine run fine with a 10 speed compatible chainset and 9 speed cassette and chain as confirmed by my LBS before i bought it. you'll have no issue running the one I posted
  • step83
    Ended up going with the 9spd 3X9 SLX set, should be here later today, thanks for the advice guys